Reader reviews and comments on Slave, plus links to write your own review.

Slave

Jun 2005, 352 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Slave

Kittykat (06/22/07)

a cry from the inside
This book has moved me like no other book has ever done. I have only turned 15 this year, and when I read about the harrowing experiences that Mende was subjected to, I wept openly. I never knew that such injustice was possible, and to an innocent child at that. In school, we are taught how to multiply, how to write chemical equations, how to spell 'adaptation.' But all this time, we are blind to the inhumane acts that are occurring all over the world. The journey of Mende is heart-wrenching, and told with such candour. I know I shall never forget it.
Jo (07/25/06)

I loved it but......
i loved this book because it was the most detailed and emotional book i have ever read, i have never read a book that i felt i was there with you the whole time, the only problem was it was heart-breaking when at the end it didnt say if you ever met your family again, if you didnt is there no way possible you can see them, i hope you do because i feel that if i was you i would feel that my life wasnt write. you are an insperation to me because if i was ever you i would have never had the guts to do what you did, you have inspired thousands of people so all i can say is well done, if i could say this to you it would be more dromatic but i cant put that into writing. Good luck in the future and ill pray that you will see your family again.
Claire (07/23/06)

Eye Opening
I read this book and i couldnt put it down. Its just so sad to know what had happened to these people. I loved this book and i loved the way it was written it was just so easy to get into it and you just didn't want to put it down. I reccomend this book for people of all ages! It is very sad but informative and interesting. So Read It!.
Lori (04/14/05)

A book everyone should read
Mende's survival story is so amazing. To think that she is just a young woman today and all she has been through in her life is mind boggling. From her kidnap to the days of slavery and beyond, she makes the reader feel her pain and sympathize with her. I was naive about this kind of activity still occuring today in what we consider "modern" times. Disturbing, but enlightening. Mende is a hero for writing this book.
Bob Chuckens (03/01/05)

Slave was a shocking insight into the Sudanese slave trade, but it also shows Mende's extreme courage though hardships which almost anyone cannot even imagine.
Jeanett Walters (12/29/04)

My sister gave me this book and said that i wouldn't put it down. she was right I, like so many people who were brought up in the western world can't imagine that this is going on in 2004. I was completely ignorant and have learned so much.

I shed so many tears reading this book because it is so explicit. I am so glad that i have been told the real truth and can inform other people.

Thank you Mende for writing this brilliant book.

Kym (12/19/04)

Completely disturbing that this is still going on.
m (12/13/04)

This book shows the courage of one woman. Its shows of her shining spirits even in the darkest of times. The memoirs she has placed in her book not only record her enslavement but also of her fairytale childhood she spent in the Nuba Mountains. Slave deserves every one of the reveiws above. Mende you're truly an inspiration

• Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us
    The Wife Between Us
    by Sarah Pekkanen, Greer Hendricks
    The Wife Between Us is an intriguing collaboration between first-time novelist Greer Hendricks and ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us