Reader reviews and comments on A Great and Terrible Beauty, plus links to write your own review.

A Great and Terrible Beauty

by Libba Bray

A Great and Terrible Beauty

Dec 2003, 416 pages
    Mar 2005, 432 pages

There are currently 65 reader reviews for A Great and Terrible Beauty

Anna (08/20/04)

My grandma gave me "A Great And Terrible Beauty" though my mother misuderstood her and thought it was for my dad. Thankfully before he got around to reading it my older sister, who works in the children section of a book store, informed her that our dad might not enjoy a book of romance and mystery aimed for teenaged girls. I however have greatly enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who's looking for an excellent read.
Elizabeth-12 (06/24/04)

I was at Target going thru books when "A Great And Terrible Beauty's" cover caught my eye. This book is a rare treat; guranteed to leave the reader spellbound after each chapter. Extremely well written; this is a book that you want to read again and again and again! Filled with romance, fantasy, and suspense; this is one of those books you'll be up until 5 o'clock in the morning with. And with the promise of another book on the way you definitley don't want to miss out on the action! Try this book; you won't be sorry!
Lauren Beckert (05/23/04)

great book.. i loved it
Kelsey (05/19/04)

I loved this book. The plot was suspenseful and left you screaming for more. I can't wait for the next book.
Liberty (03/19/04)

This book was fabulous. It's been a long time since I've gone into a bookstore and seen not only a book that I haven't read but one as well written and entertaining as this. The story overall was entrancing, by the end of the second chapter I was hooked and read until I finished it. Gemma and the other girls at spence were amazingly real, and despite that fact that I guessed a few major plot twists a wee bit earlier than I should I wasn't quite ready for the ending. This book is definetly now one of my favorites. IT's a must read for anyone who likes a story that really grips you, a story perfect for a vacation, a quite weekend, or a dark night. And even once you've finished it the feeling from the book carries on....ahhh i loved it !:)
Lila Bloom-Felton (03/19/04)

I Loved this book! I bought it because I was looking for a good read over the christmas break, and since I usually look for a good cover first, the cover automaticlly caught my attention. Gemma was such a great character! She was smart, clever, and also very understanding. This is just the kind of story I like to read! I love it and It is now one of my favorite books- right up there with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings!
Laura "Jo"- 14, girl (03/09/04)

When I picked this book up, I was intrigued by the cover, the girl in a corset. I began reading, and it was so good; I didn't stop until I finished it. It is now one of my all time favorite books. Emma is a very realistic character, as are the people around her. I especially like the indian man, Kartik, because he is so mysterious and clever. Gemma is very headstrong, which I really enjoy, because I can definetly relate to. I think my favorite character is Felicity, because she is very smart and a leader, not a follower, though she does play some pretty mean trick on Gemma. She is very real. Libba Bray did a fantastic job on this book.
Anna (02/17/04)

I was a bit suspicious at first when I picked up this book, not exactly sure if I should read it but I went with my instinct. Thankfully I did because this had become one of my most favorite books. I love this dark,mysterious novel about Gemma, as she is sent away from India to a boarding school in England. The characters are very real and all have their faults, making them seem a lot more likeable even when they are at there worst.

This story captivates me, and is a wonderful book. It was a bit more torwards fantasy than I had anticipated but I didn't mind. I would recommened it to all. It mixes fantasy with reality and not too much romance and turned out to what I think one of the best fantasy books by a modern writer. I was a bit surprised when I found it is part of a triliogy,as I think the book had a good ending that I can't really see going much further, but I am happy anyway to read more about Gemma.

A Great and Terrible Beauty 5 out of 5 stars. Read it! You will be glad you did.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am
    Commonwealth
    by Ann Patchett

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review