Reader reviews and comments on A Great and Terrible Beauty, plus links to write your own review.

A Great and Terrible Beauty

by Libba Bray

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray X
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Dec 2003, 416 pages
    Mar 2005, 432 pages

There are currently 65 reader reviews for A Great and Terrible Beauty

Twinki (02/08/05)

This book was amazing. I've already read it many times. It uses rich language and has a thick, thrilling plot. Once I started reading this book, it was hard for me to stop. I would highly recommend this book to any reader and I think they would thoroughly enjoy it. I am 14 yrs old, and i found this book through a friend whose teacher had assigned it for her.
BrittanyY (02/02/05)

A Great And Terrible Beauty is a wonderfull book. Iread it in one hour and know I am readding it agan for a schoo report! I loved this book and highly recomend it ti all of my friends!
L. Lindsay (01/18/05)

The cover of this book comes close to suggesting a classic romance, but after reading it I realized I had it all wrong. To make a good story, it's my opinion that you have to have a careful balance between danger and humour; this hits it right on. Also, the depth that the author goes into on Gemma's character is spectacular, and it sort of prompts you to think about the decisions you're making now that will decide your life later.
I've read a lot of books and not many authors have been able to write about such a close friendship as Gemma's without making the plot seem cheesy. Throughout the book there is a constant back and forth from friendship to power that we see even today in society, and by bringing it down to the level of teenage girls in the victorian age, the clash is more understandable.
Megan H. (01/16/05)

I'm a huge reader, I read anything and everything. And when I noticed this book on the NEW BOOKS table at Borders, I picked it up and asked for it for Christmas...I read it in a day and am hooked.

Gemma is such a wonderful character that I can identify with. She has trouble with making friends at first, wants to become something better than what she is, and discover the looming mystery that follows her. I'm in agony waiting for the next book.
Alicia (01/15/05)

This was the best book I have ever read! The book kept moving forward and left me waiting for more. I heard that this was part of a trilogy...I hope it is.
Kitty (01/12/05)

This is a great book! It is very well-written.
cydney (01/11/05)

this book was one of the best i have ever read.i read nonstop for 2 days!!
Henry (01/07/05)

This book was an excellent read that left me wanting more. I hope the rumours are true that there is going to be a sequel, though, because the ending will dissapoint if this is the only book.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund