Reader reviews and comments on A Great and Terrible Beauty, plus links to write your own review.

by Libba Bray

Dec 2003, 416 pages
    Mar 2005, 432 pages

There are currently 65 reader reviews for A Great and Terrible Beauty

mariah (12/12/06)

Wow
I am now reading this book for the 3rd time. it is amazing. I thought reading it over for thew 3rd time would be boring but this book is still getting my adrenaline flowing just like the 1st time. a must read for any teenager. great if you like fantasy, adventure or girly, gossipy novels!
Kari (11/07/06)

The Great and Terrible Beauty
Although the book was great at the beginning, when she gets to the finishing school, it slows down and takes a downhill turn. Although it describes the challenges of 'mean girls' and Victorian society of how girls were supposed to bow down to their husband's every will, it did give a good insight of what times were like back then. I was slightly disappointed when after Gemma discovered the realms, and she took her friends with her, nothing major really happened after that. Kartik wasn't in the book very much, which was annoying since he was telling her constantly to stop using her powers, yet he didn't really enforce it. There were only certain spots in the book that really had you hooked in, and then when it got dull and you felt like putting it down again, another event would happen and it looked as if things would turn around again...it was pretty good overall, but I wouldn't read it again unless I was told to do so for an assignment.
Jazie (10/20/06)

WOW.
Libba Bray is one of my fvotite authors and the story of Gemma Doyle is amazing. The charctures are so lifelike. The plot keeps me turning the pages again and again. Can't wait for book 3. Read Rebel Angels everyone.
Lauren (10/19/06)

A great and terrible review for Libba Bray
This book was a beautiful blend of romance, magic, horror, and English Schoolgirl. I really liked the way the characters and ideas were strung together in this novel. I really believe that this one is a "New York Times Bestseller."
anime_luvr (09/07/06)

so awesome!!!!
This is the greatest book I've ever read before in my life! I want to go into this book and into the realms and live ther forever!!! And I want to travel with the gypsy's and work magic with the Order. I want to be just like Gemma. She's so funny, and has the kind of humor I like. My friends and I now have a cave of our own, but I cannot reveal the secrets that go on inside (not very many mind you). The book is perfect for anyone interested in some slight British humor, magic and romance, and sad endings.
Leine (08/01/06)

Awsome Book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the 2 books soooooooooo much!!!! they are extremly awsome. I hope there will be a third book!
Megan (04/13/06)

Enchanting!
A Great and Terrible Beauty is definitely going on my list of top 5 favorite books!! It was wonderfully written and extremely enchanting. It's captivating. After the first couple of chapters, Bray had me hooked and I didn't want to put the book down. The characters were real and well-rounded with problems that we all have some experience with. They were very relatable which made the story easy to follow. There was just enough suspense to keep you guessing, but not enough to make you confused. I loved every aspect of this book. I would recommend it to anyone willing to read a good story with a magic twist, however, I have to admit it's more of a book for teenage girls. All in all, it was incredible! I can't wait to read the sequel, Rebel Angels.
Mireya (01/13/06)

Remarkable:Brilliant
This work of literature is very astounding; especially for a first time novelist. Bray understands what a reader needs and what we don't need. She really took to heart the characters. This was my first 400 page book, and I'm happy that I chose this one. I'm looking foward to reading the entire trilogy. Way to go Libba Bray:)

One Month Free Membership

Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place