Reader reviews and comments on Middlesex, plus links to write your own review.

Middlesex

by Jeffrey Eugenides

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides X
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Sep 2002, 544 pages
    Sep 2003, 544 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for Middlesex

kssteffe (01/27/05)

I loved this book and I hated it to end. Also, Chapter 11 got his name because he put the hot dog stands into bankruptcy.
kssteffe (01/26/05)

This book was wonderful. I hated it to end.
Not Given (01/05/05)

I wondered about the Chapter Eleven name too. I remembered reading that "Cal" was written into a book. And his/her whole family (I would assume) was also written into the book. Chapter Eleven was a character that was weird and interesting with a little more side of weird. So I think "Chapter Eleven" is a expression for being that weird character.
I loved the story. Fabously written.
nan (03/31/04)

I wondered about the name Chapter Eleven too. It becomes clear at the end when we hear the Cal's brother <<edited for potential plot spoiler content>>.
shubhamvada mathur (03/21/04)

Eugenides writes in a very pleasing style, the book captured my interest from the very first page. It isn't everyday a preconceptual embryo talks to you! The best attribute of this book is its multidimensionality-instead of focussing on the personal experience, it draws on medicine, history, contemporary & ethnic cultures to narrate an intensely personal story that darts freely between the past and present, I thought this style wonderfully emphasised how tightly the two were intertwined in this story.
chris (02/04/04)

Why is Cal's brother named 'Chapter Eleven'. It is driving me crazy
Lucas (02/03/04)

"Middle" is the key word here; this novel is mediocre. Eugenides is not a bad writer, but he seems unable to review his own work with a critical eye. "Middlesex" feels strung-together, as if every idea were used, without any internal cohesion.

Many geographical locations are mentioned in the book, they are talked about and described from the point of view of a Dickensian external narrator, but neither Berlin nor Detroit affect the prose with their essence.

• Book Jacket: The Last Mrs. Parrish
    by Alison McGhee
  • Book Jacket: Solar Bones
    Solar Bones
    by Mike McCormack
    Written in a poetic, line-breaking style, Mike McCormack's Solar Bones reads with a breathless ...

If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

E Dog H I D