Reader reviews and comments on Middlesex, plus links to write your own review.

Middlesex

by Jeffrey Eugenides

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides X
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Sep 2002, 544 pages
    Sep 2003, 544 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for Middlesex

kssteffe (01/27/05)

I loved this book and I hated it to end. Also, Chapter 11 got his name because he put the hot dog stands into bankruptcy.
kssteffe (01/26/05)

This book was wonderful. I hated it to end.
Not Given (01/05/05)

I wondered about the Chapter Eleven name too. I remembered reading that "Cal" was written into a book. And his/her whole family (I would assume) was also written into the book. Chapter Eleven was a character that was weird and interesting with a little more side of weird. So I think "Chapter Eleven" is a expression for being that weird character.
I loved the story. Fabously written.
nan (03/31/04)

I wondered about the name Chapter Eleven too. It becomes clear at the end when we hear the Cal's brother <<edited for potential plot spoiler content>>.
shubhamvada mathur (03/21/04)

Eugenides writes in a very pleasing style, the book captured my interest from the very first page. It isn't everyday a preconceptual embryo talks to you! The best attribute of this book is its multidimensionality-instead of focussing on the personal experience, it draws on medicine, history, contemporary & ethnic cultures to narrate an intensely personal story that darts freely between the past and present, I thought this style wonderfully emphasised how tightly the two were intertwined in this story.
chris (02/04/04)

Why is Cal's brother named 'Chapter Eleven'. It is driving me crazy
Lucas (02/03/04)

"Middle" is the key word here; this novel is mediocre. Eugenides is not a bad writer, but he seems unable to review his own work with a critical eye. "Middlesex" feels strung-together, as if every idea were used, without any internal cohesion.

Many geographical locations are mentioned in the book, they are talked about and described from the point of view of a Dickensian external narrator, but neither Berlin nor Detroit affect the prose with their essence.

• Book Jacket: Circe
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter Sisters
    Winter Sisters
    by Robin Oliveira
    Winter Sisters begins with an epic blizzard (see Beyond the Book) hitting the entire Northeast of ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes