Reader reviews and comments on The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing, plus links to write your own review.

The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

May 2000, 288 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for The Girl's Guide To Hunting & Fishing

Batti (07/18/09)

The Girls' Guide to Hunting & Fishing
I loved reading it. I am 50 and been married for almost 30 years and yet I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's for anybody regardless of their age or situation, I believe. I cannot wait to get my hands on "The Wonder Spot".
Amber (09/25/06)

The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing.
This book was ok. I enjoyed it until it switched to that crazy chapter about Nina, which was completely confusing because it too was written in first person. It seemed pointless to the story of Jane, and there were all these charaters, and their story just stops. Weird.
After that chapter, I knew if I put the book down, I'd never finish it. So I kept reading until the book was completed.
Lauren Hanley (12/30/04)

I find Melissa Bank's novel as comforting as a post breakup bowl of ice cream. I see alot of myself in the storys of Jane when she was younger. I too still have a lot to learn about life seeing as I am only 17. I've read the book about 23 times, but my favortie story is You Could Be Anyone because you can put yourself in that sitution and I have thought myslef of a couple of the one-liners including "In a restaurant, he notices a gaggle of girl models. "It's like looking at art. The rest of us are just people," he says, "We know we're not beautiful the way they are."(212) Its my favorite book, I own two copies.
kelly (08/25/04)

I truly enjoyed this book. A few of the stories were quite exceptional but I most enjoyed the ones involving the older man. Bank writes sharply and I found myself often wondering how she came up with so many of the clever phrases she wrote. I appreciate how little description and setting she writes into the stories. It takes a good writer to be able to give the reader such perfect pieces to a person or situation and still be to put it together clearly. The story entitled "The Best Possible Light" seemed a little out of place and was the only story that didn't seem to flow with the smart and painful grace that the others did. I definetly see a Lorrie Moore influence, and to me that is wonderful because I think she is the best.
nora (08/21/04)

There's no denying we've all experienced every thought, feeling, embarassment, yearning, sadness and elation that Jane has. A light, humorous and moving account of every young woman's life. If you like finishing a book with a smile on your face, here's a good candidate read.
Julien (07/06/03)

This book deserves much more than the 'Bridget Jones' reference - this one is a piece of art. It is written with a style (light to read but so dense in unspoken content) that belongs to American classics, and echoes far beyond the story of the young woman itself. The first chapter, about teenage, is pure delight. Bank is witty and a true artist, she makes me long for more written works.
Brandee (12/26/02)

I have read this book like eight times! I want to know if she has written anything else!
Eidolon (08/06/02)

Light and funny in a Bridget Jones-ey kind of way. A good read for the modern single woman.

• Book Jacket: Timekeepers
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

As Bright as Heaven
    by Susan Meissner

A story of a family reborn through loss and love in Philadelphia during the flu epidemic of 1918.

Force of Nature
    by Jane Harper

A riveting, tension-driven thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

Win The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

A gripping novel from the award-winning author of For Today I Am a Boy.

G O T P, B The P, F T P