Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2003, 528 pages
    Apr 2005, 500 pages

There are currently 298 reader reviews for Eragon

Ryan (02/26/06)

Eragon
This book is a good action-adventure book full of suspense and battle sequenses.
Eragon has his best friend turned against him by King Galbatorix. Eragon is never sure of who he can trust and who he cant.
Jonas (02/13/06)

Very Intresting.
I found the book to be a very fun read. Did a good job of describing situations and have you itching for the next page. For a select few who decided to destroy the book and comment that it was to "LOTR" there have been many fantasy books before with elf, humans, and dwarfs. I do feel the book needed some tweaking and maybe a bit more work, but I feel for the age group he was aiming for he did an exceptional job. I feel for thoughts of you that didn't like the book you were more looking in the area of Adult novels.
Kate (01/16/06)

The Best book ever!
i'm all into the Harry potter books, and when my friend recomended Eragon i knew it was going to be good. It wasn't good it was...GREAT!
Julian (01/12/06)

Eragon
I remember when i saw this book in the scholastic ahahaha...i had a feeling it was going to be a good book. And when i recieved my book i wasnt disapointed. this book has such a good storyline and now the and book Eldest is out i hope the 3rd bok is coming out soon. So excited that ERAGON THE MOVIE is coming out in december. Hope the movie makers dont make this book look bad or else their gonna be hearing something from the fans =D
Ember (01/11/06)

Common Themes
Every new artist: painter, composer, author ect. takes themes and ideas from other works that they like and are familiar with until they can find their own style and voice. Paolini is no exception. Even Patricia McKillip who some say is one of the best fantasy writers of our time borrowed ideas from LOTR in her Riddle Master trilogy. I think for writing Eragon at 15, Paolini did an excellent job and I'm sure that this is just his first step in becomming a great author.
SaRa (01/01/06)

Maybe
I have to addmit the first time that I tried to read the book, I coudn't. I wasn't able to get past the first 20 pages! But i was then forced to read for school and i loved it! I relized how it wassemilar in to Lord of the rings but it wasstilla good read. And to everyone that is spitting on it for it's "copying" maybe you should read Eldest. Before you say things make sure you got your facts right.
Tom (12/31/05)

Eragon
Eragon and Eldest are two good books, even though everyone may say they are copied, stolen, etc. I do like this series very much but did find it similar to other books. As for people saying it's good for being written by a fifteen year old; in an honest review the age of the author should not affect your rating. You are rating the book, not that author.

I did find the lack of character descriptions annoying but my first time through I did not notice it missing at first. I did however find I was being led on to read the book and was a fun past time for me and in my opinion worth a read.

Also please do not say the name Eragon came from the LotR name Aragorn, Eragon is dragon with an e in the place of a d. He also found this name on kabalarians.com I know as a fact so no it was not stolen.

The book can be good if you allow yourself to like it. If you get caught up in criticims and comparing to other books, you subconiously start looking for them throughout the book.

As for using elves, dwarves, humans, and dragons he could have made up his own race to make it have a little more original feel. The Ra'zac are a unique race in the book but since there are only two of them they are overlooked.

Yes shade the name may have been taking from warcraft but the physical appearance is nothing alike.

Overall the book does have some lack of originality but once you have become involved and are really into the story it makes for an exiting read.

-Thanks
Magan Fowler (12/28/05)

What the heck 2
Ok, this is the second time that i have written my review and you can see that it is a .1. I don't know why ppl like this book sooo much it as good as that. i got the idea from a guy that has the same interest in books as me but i think in this book our ideas of GOOD is really far feched. i couldn't stand reaing that book it mad me so mad because everything dragged on the war the escapes everything. I think this is a complete copy of the LOTR,H.P and all the other books. i really think that this guy is going to get sued so enough it is an insult that he would name it Eargo, from the title would that explain that there is somthing fishy about this book come on.?When i was reading i actually skipped pgs becuase i new exactally what was going to happen. i don't mean to be mean to the author, bet i think he really need to right a book that isn't conected to LOTR,H.P, and NARNIA. especially not connected to LOTR!!!!!!

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Harvard is the storehouse of knowledge because the freshmen bring so much in and the graduates take so little out.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: