Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2003, 528 pages
    Apr 2005, 500 pages

There are currently 298 reader reviews for Eragon

Andrew (12/15/06)

Honestly, if you think that this novel is "amazing" or "awe inspiring", then you definitely need to read more books. I see nothing in this book that I have not seen in any another piece of fiction. Whether it is Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Earthsea, or Lord of the Rings; Eragon is just one big conglomerate of all these ideas. The thing that annoys me the most, is that their are a wider variety of much more original and better developed fantasy novels that experience no where near the publicity that Eragon does. The reason it is so famous, is that it is read by a bunch of 15 year olds who dislike reading, who are forced to read it by persuasion from their parents, and in turn they over exaggerate how great it is because they have no other previously read works of fiction to compare it to or analyze it with. Read more books people, you'll see what I mean.
Triple Bypass (11/28/06)

Humor Me.
It's funny. The people who rate this book a 1 or 2, saying it is the most horrid thing they have ever read, must really look back on their own posts; I think they would take that opinion back. I think it was a good book. The writing was good, the imagery was good, and the characters were good. Yes, he did somewhat copy Star Wars verbatim, but I give him credit for getting off his ass and actually doing something, instead of criticizing other peoples works.

Lighten up.
Roisin Livingstone (11/10/06)

i think that the book is brilliant. for someone as young as Chris he has an incredible knowledge of vocab. The book enwinds and drags you in i could not put it down.I would love to know who he based Eragon on he sounds brave and fabulous.just like the story.
Its a GOOD book (10/25/06)

Eragon & Eldest
These are the best books I have ever read and they are so addicting!!! This book has every emotion in one book!!! I don't really read a lot but this is by far the most amazing book I have ever read!!! I suggest you get the book and don't stop because of it describing the landscape for a few pages just get through it and then something amazing will happen!!!
Taylor Reish, 15 yrs (08/27/06)

My world! ;) This book kicks butt (that's good)
I've read book one Eragon and at first it's was so boring and slow so i put it down thinking it was a awefull book, but then one day about a month and a half later i got bored and i picked it back up. I got the the chapter when Saphira hatched from her egg and that's what hoked me. Then book was sad, funny, and exciting. by the end of this book i had a HUGE crush on Eragon.

Eldest i am still reading but im almost done with it. So far in this book i'm fallen more love with Eragon and seen how my friends say i'm so much like Arya the elf (see at the bottom)
and Saphira has growen so much in the book she does seem much older then Eragon.

THESE BOOK ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

The female character's in both books were awesome and as i read the more i loved about it. My one friend Jake h. was the one to get me hoked one it. Then I got my one friend courtney hoked one the books. When she finished the first book she said to me it was awesome and she even said i reminded her or the elf Arya. Chris PLEASE keep writing books about Eragon, Saphira, and Arya. These are amazing and if you're writing you brought them to life. MAKE a MOVIE on this.
Pam- age 24 (08/21/06)

Murtagh rules!
I'm 24, I read Eragon and Eldest, and Oh my God! these books are so addictive!... can't wait to read the 3rd one. I really loved the stength of the famale characters (Arya, Saphira, Nasuada) and fell in love with the male charecters at once! (specially with Murtagh) There were nights I didn't sleep, 'cause I couldn't stop reading... it's a great story.

I wanna watch the movie now! or at least the teaser-trailer. By the way loved Ed Speleers as Eragon, Jeremy Irons is going to be the best Brom and Garret Hedlund is such a babe.... my Murtagh, just as I've imagined he would be.
JT Wacker (08/11/06)

All right first to all you name sayers and haters, yes the plot mimicks star wars but in how many fantasy books is a princess saved? all of them. And in almost every fantasy dosent the hero live with the lost of his family, Harry potter, Lost years of Merlin, Also ur vader character, icefag, would more or less be Morezon. Also this book uses several higher Vocabulary words. Develops own lang. and takes you on a mystical Adventure. Also all you name sayers might want to do some research on the names of LotR characters, Pipen the Short was a King of France, there is also a plethera of others titles whom have duplicate names. Read it you will like it.
Nimue (08/10/06)

What were they thinking?
Seriously, eragon is one of the most awful books I have ever read. the storyline is forced, the charac ters are bad, and it reeks of awfulness. There is nothing original in Eragon. OK, its good for a 15 year old. But when I read a book, I dont want to have to make allowances for a charcters age to review the book. On its own, Eragon is simply not good. It would never have been published if his parents actually bothered to read it. Plus, Eragon is such a Sue.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Cruel Beautiful World