Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2003, 528 pages
    Apr 2005, 500 pages

There are currently 298 reader reviews for Eragon

nicholas smith (05/07/07)

Eragon
Eragon is one of the best books Iv ever read and I read a lot. my favorite part is when Eragon had to fight the shade in the jail house. The movie made me mad It was nothing like the book it was a joke.
Tess (04/29/07)

How could you think Eragon is anything but trash?
Let's skip the praise that he wrote it at such a young age, blah blah blah. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes wrote absolutely stunning things at thirteen. Paolini is an idiot. Well, actually, he's an idiot with parents who have connections in the publishing industry. Thus, he was able to pluck what he liked best from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and numerous (better!) storylines and mash them all together in a book his parents said was wonderful. Honestly, his parents are even worse. They didn't have the backbone to say "Son, I know you worked hard on this... but it's awful. I'm sorry; I don't want to burn anyone's eyes out, so it'll have to stay in your desk drawer." Would that really be so hard? Now we have to deal with an absolutely trash movie and numerous fans (most of whom couldn't tell Shakespeare from their ***) defending this piece of garbage.

You know the reason it did so well? It has dragons. That makes for a great image on your advertising promos, and little children are attracted to anything scaly with wings. If Eragon had, say, giant slugs who could fly instead... the blindfold would be gone and everyone would be able to see why Eragon is such trash.
Eragon Knows Best (04/01/07)

No Better Than Eragon and Saphira
This is an epic tale good for kids with a great imagination and love of the times, this book is great for kids 10+ to get the true understanding. the epic tales will send you on a journey. I highly recommend it.
BOOGER! (02/27/07)

FANTASTIC!!!
Honestly, Eragon is the BEST fantasy books I have read in my whole life! Way to go Paolini. If I was fifteen i could not write like Christopher did. He has an imagination!! Unlike, some people who have rated the book 1. I love how he makes his own language and people. I read the book in 5 days. I could not put it down. I recommend this book to EVERYONE, WHO ACTUALLY HAS AN IMAGINATION!! UNLIKE THE PEOPLE WHO HATE ERAGON! READ IT NOW!!!
Louis (02/19/07)

Yawn.
Boring. Bad prose, no characterization, recycled plot. Its fame comes from the author's supposed age, though people tend to forget he was older than most people assume and had a professional editor. That, and the fact the book was marketed at a bunch of illiterate kids who couldn't tell Charles Dickens from their arse. What are you to expect from a kid whose social interactions are limited to his family, the books he's read, and the movies he watches with his family?

Skip it. There are much better books written by experienced adults who don't get movies and games. But they don't have the fame because they care enough about their works they don't indulge in overused plots and flat characters. And they aren't "fifteen" for the past eight years.
larry (01/30/07)

Anyone read ra salvatore or r.e. feist?
I rate this good even though I have several opinions to the negative. I will not state anything about his age, except that keep in mind his parents are in the editing business. Still I like the book. It was an enjoyable read regardless of the young mentality in the verbiage. It did get better as the book progressed and he got a little experience. However I liked the book for the exact reasons I liked the other books that he stole the ideas from. I see the star wars comparison. Yet nobody mentions that R.A. Salvatore in the demon sword trilogy taught his hero how to practice swordsmanship with an elven dance. Not to mention The Spine is a place mentioned in almost every Icewind Dale book. And by the way did anyone read Raymond Feist? How about Thomas who found the dragon rider armor, and slowly gained powers from it and over time his features changed to resemble those of an elf. Anyway I expect as he gets a little older his own ideas will begin to surface and his writing ability will improve.
Anonymous (01/21/07)

Less Traveling, More Action
The book was actually quite interesting. I would have preferred it if the first half did not involve so much traveling and training. The whole book had so much traveling that it became boring to read about how tired they were and that Paolini should have renamed the book " A Travelogue of Alagaesia", but otherwise it was a great book.
hercules (01/13/07)

Simple
The poor character development, redundant word usage (myriad anyone?) and outright plot theft make this novel, quite simply, bad. Yes, the plots from Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars and more were used in combination but what bothered me the most was the outright theft of the idea of an ancient language that contained everything's "true name" from Wizard of Earthsea. This infuriated me and I encourage all of you to read the book and see what a real fantasy novel is like.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor

The Big Holiday Wordplay: