Reader reviews and comments on Eragon, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book I

by Christopher Paolini

Aug 2003, 528 pages
    Apr 2005, 500 pages

There are currently 298 reader reviews for Eragon

Dragon Nighthowler. (04/04/08)

Eragon Brief Review.
It is amazing that such a young person has been able to publish. Then again, the way the main character is portrayed, in a cliche way, diminishes the interest, or the liking towards it. Eragon passes from a farm boy, to a highly skilled dragon rider, mage, swordmaster, knight, etc... in just a couple of months. It lacks realism, since it takes years of practice to become any of those things.

Also, the similarity with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and the Wheel of Time, makes the novel much less interesting. Readers of the fantasy genre have seen those plots, and those perfect characters, so many times, that all I can say is the lack of originality in this book. Many of us are searching for something new, something that hasn't been seen before.

Then again, those are the first feeble steps of an infant writer. With perseveration, and maturity, the author might be able to give birth to some very good novels.
blinker (02/26/08)

goot
This book is a good read. It has lots of action, sadness and a tad of romance. I've enjoyed it all the ten times I've read it (no exaggeration).8,000 thumbs up,Paolini!
sydney (02/06/08)

Eragon
When I first began to read this book I thought it was going to be a extremely big and boring book, but as I really start to read the book I couldn't put it down! It makes me want to be there during the book and become a dragon rider also! I plan to read this book again in the future as well as the other book in the series!! I NEVER thought that I would love a scifi book but this one really caught me off guard!!
Markus D. (11/10/07)

Eragon- Christopher Paolini
This may possibly be my most favorite book. It was amazing. It's so detailed and the vocabulary is so varied! It has some great metaphors, similes, and personifications. It was such a good read, I couldn't put it down. When I was reading this book I got the clearest picture in my head; I felt like I was a character in the book. I say hands down to Christopher Paolini.
I am currently venturing into Eldest, which is also an amazing book. When I finish that one I'll definitely write a review.
Gregory (06/20/07)

For Young Readers Only
This is an average book and you can tell its written by a first-time writer. This book is for novice or young readers but not for long-time fantasy readers.

For starters, you can easily pick out the ideas and plot points that are very similar to other fantasy novels. (Some are frighteningly close, I don't know how the author got away with some of his writing). These just turn an experienced writer off. The other problem the book has is the uninteresting story. After reading the book, you feel like there should have been more. There is no excitement leading up to the final battle. The only upside is the author does scatter some original ideas, places and characters.
Abdul (06/10/07)

BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!
OK I've read many fantasy books but this book is awesome! I also like Eldest a lot...my favorite characters of this book are Eragon and Murtagh. I wish book three would come out sooner though. I really hope for book three to come out....and I cant wait to see what happens to Eragon... :)
Colleen Ann Monahan (05/27/07)

THE BEST BOOK EVER(ALONG WITH ELDEST!)
Eragon is one of the best books I have ever read!!! Anyone who hates the book, I feel sorry for you. Eldest may be better, but this book gives the story of the main character, Eragon.I love the action, people, places,and suspense in some parts of the book.My 4 favorite people are Eragon(of course), Murtagh, Brom, and Sapphira. The top 2 of those 4 are Eragon and Murtagh.I love the story behind Murtagh. it's soo cool.
Lola (05/16/07)

Eragon
I love this book I felt like I was actually there standing next to Eragon and Saphira!!

• Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    The Guineveres
    by Sarah Domet

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P