Reader reviews and comments on The Greatest Generation, plus links to write your own review.

The Greatest Generation

by Tom Brokaw

The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw X
The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw

Nov 1998, 412 pages
    May 2001, 412 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Greatest Generation

Annie Ahsoak (05/05/04)

This is a greatest book that I have ever read. I would encourage people to read this book. Once I started to read it, I couldn't put it down.
Annie Ahsoak, 19 years old
AAHS (01/25/04)

I'm reading this book like most other students, but not for any history class. I'm reading it for biology. Yes - biology. Why? Because this book is that good that, of all the books written, my biology teacher decides that we should read this book for the class as extra credit. It is a great book. Everyone who's commented has covered all the fields... so I'd say read it. It's worth it. If you think it's boring, skip to another section. It's good.
jeseica (05/16/03)

totally life changing book!
Greg (05/01/03)

Great Book, read it for my College Intro History class here at Western KY U. Awesome accounts by an awesome broadcaster!
Mark B. (03/25/03)

I, like many other students, had to read this book for my 11th grade U.S. History class. At first glance the book seemed big and boring, but after reading the first section, I was hooked. The book really could have been put together by anyone, because it is compiled of stories from WW2 vets, but even so, I rate this book 5 out of 5. I always knew that sacrifice was present in WW2 but I had no idea what this generation was put through. I now have amazing respect for the WW2 generation. I also think that they are the greatest generation, so far. I know that if my generation were put through a WW2 type of war, we would step up to the challenge. God bless America!
Owen S. (11/29/02)

It seems apparent to me that the literary world is scared to death of criticizing a book about the so-called, "Greatest Generation." The book really isn't that good. Brokaw's arguments are irrelevent and at times, asinine. Of course the country banded together in the face of fascism, just as we came together in the aftermath of 9/11. I would never take anything away from the men and women who served in WWII, but to claim that they are the "greatest generation" is simply insulting to anyone between 18 and 45. One must remember that America didn't even join the war until we ourselves were attacked, and even then we waited for Germany to declare war on us. But I digress. In conclusion, Brokaw's collection of interesting anectodes amounts to no more than that: a collection of interesting anecdotes, not a substantioal literary work.
Kara (11/10/02)

My whole high school is reading this book. On the first day when they gave them to us, I looked around the room, saw eye rolls, mock snores, and heavy sighs. But after reading the first few pages, there was silence. By the end of the year, we will have read the whole book. My high school is brand new, and in it's first year it has achieved what centuries of detention could not: respect. Our designated charity of the school year is to raise enough to make a sizable contribution to the effort to build a memorial in the capitol commemorating those Tom Brokaw wrote about.
Kristen Halford (09/21/02)

I had to read the book for history class. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was well written and interesting. I agree with Mr. Brokaw to some extent, but I do believe that each generation has its strengths and downfalls and it's hard to give such a definitive title to a single generation. I am very grateful to WWII veterans for maintaining freedom in the world. However, I think that if another crisis of the magnitude of WWII were to occur today, my generation would be able to pull together and face the challenge. Look at how the country pulled todether after 9/11, in mourning and patriotism. Many poeople I knew flew to NYC to help in the clean up. Americans raised money for the victims' families. For the past year, Americans have contributed and sacrificed many things, including the boys over in Afghanistan.

• Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us
    The Wife Between Us
    by Sarah Pekkanen, Greer Hendricks
    The Wife Between Us is an intriguing collaboration between first-time novelist Greer Hendricks and ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us