Reader reviews and comments on The Known World, plus links to write your own review.

The Known World

by Edward P. Jones

The Known World

Aug 2003, 400 pages
    May 2004, 416 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Known World

Reader (01/04/07)

A difficult read, but well worth the effort
"The Known World" has a discursive, character driven storyline. It is challenging to read, but its exploration of timeless themes makes it well worth the effort. At times I nearly put it down, but keep reading! You will be glad you did, because reading this book is an enriching experience.
Carolyn Cheverine (04/14/05)

A Known World
I enjoyed this book immensely though there are some disturbing parts. The writing style was a little disjointed as the writer would jump back and forth in periods but that also added to the story. In fact, the way he wrote the book it seemed more like a true story than a work of fiction. This book raised a lot of discussion at our book club, especially since many people had no idea that blacks owned slaves. I do recommend this book.
Kay Adams-Fleig (11/20/04)

The storyline was interesting but the writing made reading the story laborius. I started to skim through chapters and then gave up.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am
    Commonwealth
    by Ann Patchett

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review