MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Stiff, plus links to write your own review.

Stiff

The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

by Mary Roach

Stiff

Mar 2003, 224 pages
    May 2004, 304 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Stiff

Erin Noelle (11/11/04)

One of the best non-fiction books I have read in my lifetime. It's very compelling and has no problem holding a person's interest to the very end. Ms. Roach is comparable to the fabulous fiction novelist, Chuck Palahniuk. With her dark humor and wit she still retains respect for the dead. I applaud her work.
M.Z. Visi (08/09/04)

This book is a remarkably engaging read. Ms. Roach possesses the ingenious ability of being able to make digestible the most repulsive of subjects. she answers questions often best left unspoken. She covers a range of topics from medical experimentation, process of decay, crucifixion experiments, and the list goes on, and through it all she manges to honor the dead yet not to overglorify the cadaver-science is still science...... Great book, I highly recommend it.
cameren (05/24/04)

an extremely interesting book, with just the right amount of humour and understanding for what most would think a very morbid subject matter. the chapters on using decapitated heads for improving cosmetic surgery and face transplants for the horribly burned were so surreal and fascinating i had to keep reading. this will give you something to talk about when you finally get a date ;-) - cameren, 22
Arlette K. (06/18/03)

I truly enjoyed this book, it was interesting, well-written and enlightening. Quite a few times I was astounded by the information imparted, for example, I had no idea that they used cadavers in automobile crash tests (and since 1939!). Ms. Roach is a very good writer, I found her wit and humor very tempering to the subject matter and not once did I feel that she was inappropriate in her humor. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading for reading sake. I will look forward to seeing another book of odd topic by her.

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?