MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Stiff, plus links to write your own review.

Stiff

The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

by Mary Roach

Stiff

Mar 2003, 224 pages
    May 2004, 304 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Stiff

Erin Noelle (11/11/04)

One of the best non-fiction books I have read in my lifetime. It's very compelling and has no problem holding a person's interest to the very end. Ms. Roach is comparable to the fabulous fiction novelist, Chuck Palahniuk. With her dark humor and wit she still retains respect for the dead. I applaud her work.
M.Z. Visi (08/09/04)

This book is a remarkably engaging read. Ms. Roach possesses the ingenious ability of being able to make digestible the most repulsive of subjects. she answers questions often best left unspoken. She covers a range of topics from medical experimentation, process of decay, crucifixion experiments, and the list goes on, and through it all she manges to honor the dead yet not to overglorify the cadaver-science is still science...... Great book, I highly recommend it.
cameren (05/24/04)

an extremely interesting book, with just the right amount of humour and understanding for what most would think a very morbid subject matter. the chapters on using decapitated heads for improving cosmetic surgery and face transplants for the horribly burned were so surreal and fascinating i had to keep reading. this will give you something to talk about when you finally get a date ;-) - cameren, 22
Arlette K. (06/18/03)

I truly enjoyed this book, it was interesting, well-written and enlightening. Quite a few times I was astounded by the information imparted, for example, I had no idea that they used cadavers in automobile crash tests (and since 1939!). Ms. Roach is a very good writer, I found her wit and humor very tempering to the subject matter and not once did I feel that she was inappropriate in her humor. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading for reading sake. I will look forward to seeing another book of odd topic by her.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun