Reader reviews and comments on The Devil Wears Prada, plus links to write your own review.

The Devil Wears Prada

by Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada

Apr 2003, 360 pages
    Apr 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for The Devil Wears Prada

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (07/21/12)

funny but not literature
The Devil Wears Prada is Lauren Weisberger’s first book, and details the experiences of Brown graduate, Andrea Sachs in her first job as personal assistant to the high-profile, fabulously successful Miranda Priestly, editor of Runway magazine. The book is said to be based on Weisberger’s time at Vogue, working for Anna Wintour. This book is pretty funny and is probably quite an accurate picture of the fashion industry, especially the ostentation and the obscene waste of money. Literature, it isn’t; it is, basically, a litany of the progressively more outrageous demands made on her staff by the editor of a top fashion magazine and a tedious catalogue of brand names. The editor is painted as a cold-hearted, demanding, unreasonable monster; her staff are portrayed as anorexic image-obsessed minions without personality. This book confirms for me why I care nothing for the superficial world of fashion.
K.K latest fashions (11/06/09)

the devil wears - PRADA
This book is amazing in all ways, it's a fashionable but comedy book. I mean what does a women want more than that?
Olivia (01/17/08)

This book might take a little while to develop, however once it does get to the main plot it proves an excellent read. As a reader a person can laugh and feel frustrated along with the narrator, Andy. She provides an inside look into the fashion world, but also what it is like to work for a boss from Hell. Weisberger does a great job with this book.
JANE (12/25/06)

Not very good.
300 + pages of someone making unreasonable demands on another person. Not much fun to read and a lot of it was not believable.

The descriptions of fashion were good I don't think the average reader cares much about or even knows the difference between a fendi bag and any other bag.

I don't understand how this book was a bestseller.
Sue (05/24/06)

I enjoyed this book only because I wanted to get THRU IT and I was waiting for a climax. I felt as though something exciting was going to occur but it really never did,.Too bad, I think she could have done more with it..really.
[remainder of reviewing deleted due to plot spoiler]
Evonne G (05/01/05)

What's All the Fuss About?
So-so at best. I recall this book lingering on the bestsellers' list for weeks on end and, for the life of me, cannot figure out why. I forced myself to complete the book only because I kept expecting it to get interesting. Sadly, it never did.
Ashley Payne (02/28/05)

I think that Lauren Weisberger did an incredible job. The book is hilarious and I have enjoyed every minute of it!!!!!!!
Rubyred (02/21/05)

I agree with Anonymous. I'm almost finished with this book, and the story goes nowhere. Only an idiot would work for a person like Miranda (and the rest of the snobs, like Emily). I'm not sure anyone is truly that bad as her. Not to mention, Miranda's a lying sack of crap. Ex: Who would delibertately leave someone a voice message only to say in the end "I didn't say that"....

If you want a job at the New Yorker, go for it. You prefer having your confidence and ego smashed to smitherines first? Why would anyone with self-esteem do what Andrea is doing -- unless it's her immature age of 23 (24?) showing. Can't believe this story was on the best-seller's list. It's totally amateur writing. Pure curiosity is why I'll finish it. Hopefully, Ms. Weisberger won't write another novel.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.