MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Short History of Nearly Everything, plus links to write your own review.

A Short History of Nearly Everything

by Bill Bryson

A Short History of Nearly Everything

May 2003, 560 pages
    Sep 2004, 560 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for A Short History of Nearly Everything

Simon Wood (08/06/04)

I have been waiting all my post teen life for someone to produce a book like Bill's. It's great read. It is scientifically Educational to laymen like myself as well as offering vast historical insight of the founders (or should I say the occasional charlaten) of what we know and understand today about our planets and ourselves.
Our education systems should ensure that this book is prefered reading for all children between 11 - 16.
Well done Bill.

J Reilly (03/23/04)

Exceptional book. A great read. Everything you always didn't really want to know about every facet of our physical world - but Bryson drills it into the reader in a pleasant, informative and enjoyable book. Unexpectedly funny. It reminds me of the Connections series (formerly on PBS, I think) with James Burke.
Michael (03/17/04)

Although I have only read part 1 of the book, meaning I'm only 7% of the way in to it but already I can tell it will be a fantastic read. Space, natural history and evolution have always fascinated me and the author explains it all in a simple way. Only now can I appriciate how vast the immense vastness of space actually is. He is a brilliant writer and I'm sure that the rest of the book will continue in the fantastic way that it opened.

Michael Ritchie, age 16
S.I. MacDonald (03/16/04)

I am suffering the most horrendous torment this semester: physics, calculus, and chemistry. As I poured through stale textbooks and cup after cup of coffee I often wondered, "Why am I doing this to myself???" Then I coaxed my Physics professor to allow me to write a book review on "A Short History of Nearly Everything". Bryson, you're saving me this semester, your book was a breath of fresh air. You roused my interest in every one of my previously painful courses. I once detested Newton, but now I enjoy him completely! My highest regards.
Josh (02/26/04)

I bought this book as an audio file on iTunes. It is a thrilling. The way Bill Bryson uses comparisons to convey enormous distances and periods of time are enough to make you rethink existence.
Anonymous (08/28/03)

I was a little skeptical about how interesting a book about "everything" would be. I found it fascinating and a fast read. Terminology was not overwhelming and anecdotal stories added spice to some of the dryer topics. I found the information thorough yet concise enough to keep my interest. I have recommended it to most of my reading friends.
smac (08/28/03)

Brilliant. We need him to write a guide on success now.

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun