Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

Taylor (12/24/03)

best book i have ever read! if you like murder, history, art, religion and danger this is the book for you.
edward salin (12/19/03)

just an overall great read. i managed to read it all in one sitting. hour after hour and i just couldnt put it down. i agree with those other readers who said it was thought-provoking. and you know what? why not!

da vinci: an absolute genius. i checked his last supper painting-this time really studied it. sure enough the person to the ledt of jesus christ could vejy well be a woman. also for the first time i saw the knife to jesus left. was this da vinci's way of letting us know his views on the life of jesus? could jesus have married and even have had children? why not? maybe there are descendents living somewhere. who knows.
Lisa (12/08/03)

The Da Vinci Code made me think of religion and common belief in general. I never realized some of the things the book discusses. It really opened my eyes to a new way of thinking.
Nancy (12/07/03)

I never cared much for history...but this book has changed my mind.
I find myself looking for more information about the Knights Templar, Constantine, Priory of Sion, etc.
Who cares if all the religious fanatics are upset. It's a darn good read!
Maybe it's time for people to look at things from a different perspective.
Fast paced, intriguing perspective on history.
Ryan O (11/30/03)

this is easily the best fiction book written this year, and one of (if the THE best fiction book i've ever read. if its not on your "to read" list yet, it should be.
Jon Woodyard (11/27/03)

Intrigue, conspiracy and murder are the essential elements of a good mystery and Dan Brown has all of these in his Da Vinci Code thriller. The plot moves at a good pace until about two thirds into the novel. Then it seems to get mired down in detail and explanations that contribute little to the story but set up the reader for what Mr. Brown is going to finally reveal. I don't know how Opus Dei is going to view this book but I would imagine that his references to the organization are specific to a small minority. Some of the deciphering in the early chapters is a masterfull stretch of the cryptanalyst's imagination. Even so, given that this was the fire that lights the flame, Brown follows the fire to a conflagration. In summary, I could never determine whether his sleuths were intelligent, or just plain lucky. All in all, though, a good read.
Ed L. (11/27/03)

The Da Vinci Code is a suspenseful and mysterious kind of book. I highly suggest reading it and keeping a copy for yourself.
Mona Lisa (11/24/03)

This was a fantastic read. Was it Chaucer? No. Was it Edgar Allen Poe? Nope. But give me a break, it was a fun book to read. Now about the criticisms I have seen...
I live in South Carolina, pretty near the heart of the Bible Belt. I read a scathing review on the book in the local paper yesterday. At first I was surprised, but then, I realized where I was. If the paper endorsed this book, the majority of its readers would lash against it almost certainly. And then I thought of how the country might react as well, and yeah, surpemely controversial were the words coming to mind.
I do not recommend this book to everyone. If you love chocolate cake with all your heart, and have for all your life, and anyone who might say "Hey, you know, strawberry cake can be just as good" really makes you want to strangle them, then well, this book is not for you. Now if you are more "open", and enjoy hearing another unusual point of view, then get this book right away. I have been a devout Christian all my life, and I loved how this book made me think, period. Some people have said Brown's ideas are unfounded and sorely supported. Unfounded, hmm...And one more thing - I would really like to never see again someone exclaim that they cannot believe good Christians would come on here and say how they enjoyed this book. Firstly, enjoying this book has nothing whatsoever to do with being a good Christian, a good Muslim, a good Hindu, or a giraffe. Secondly, you grossly confuse the word "Christian" as the word "intolerant." If I must be so intolerant or exclusive as to be offended and offset to a rage by a book in the fiction section, then I will gladly choose to be no Christian at all rather than meet [that] definition of the word. I mean come on, I thought witch burnings and inquisitions were outta style by now.
Its about time someone like Brown challenged us all to think more, open our minds. Things arent always about who is right and who's wrong, black and white. An overwhelming majority of the world is not Christian at all. Are they wrong? No, there is no such thing, that is a fruitless argument. Everyone has their own beliefs, and derives something from them. Brown is not trying to crush Christianity, he is simply presenting an argument that is intriguing, controversial, and not usually voiced. More power to him, that took courage.
The story: nothing spectacular, pulp fiction.
Characters: see above
Background (subplot): excellent, loved hearing about the proposed history. Not only religion, but Da Vinci, symbology, past cultures. This is what made the book to me.

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Children are not the people of tomorrow, but people today.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: