Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

Anonymous (01/19/04)

What a fantastic read!

I am not one to jump on the Best Seller bandwagon, but when within two days two different people whose opinions I trust told me I should read this book I decided to listen to serendipity. As pat as it sounds, after I started I didn't want to put it down. The characters and multi-plots kept unwinding and interweaving in a manner that kept me wanting more. Because the chapters were only a few pages long, I found myself saying "Just one more quick chapter" over and over.

All of that was on a "literary level" but I have to address the subject matter. As I was reading the book I wondered, "Could this be true?" I reminded myself that this was only a fiction book, yet couldn't restrain my excitement at the ideas and potential facts with which I was being bombarded. I wanted more.

If there is one book for which you "follow the crowd" let this be it.

Bayard (01/12/04)

This book is an excellent read for anyone who enjoys thrillers. Dan brown combines historical evidence and a ficticious storyline to grip readers until the final page. The book makes you evaluate ideas and beliefs that people have accepted for hundreds of years, including Jesus having a relationship with Mary Magdeline. Secret societies and mysteries surrounding their orgins are described as well as the secrets some of them are rumored to hold today.
His research is astounding as is the hidden Symbolism behind Da Vinci's artwork mainly The Last Supper. I think some elements of the book are so riveting that eventually they could upset the beliefs held by millions of Christians worldwide about Jesus and mystery surrounding his life. for example why are about 20 years of his life missing from the gospels of the New Testament?
It could be obvious that early church fathers did not accept some of the things that he did, including travellig to India and studying their religious ways.

I would highly recommend this book as well as "The lost years of Jesus" It may shed some light on missing information regarding Jesus' life!
J V Wil (01/06/04)

I rate this a 4...great mystery read, but weak in its historical accuracy (wild constructions and assertions)...fiction at best...conspiracy mongering at worse...an ineffective attempt to undermine orthodox and time-tried canon and faith.
Shari (01/05/04)

I felt that the book was excellent for many reasons because it really opens up your mind to a different point of view. After I read it, I conducted research of my own and was very amazed to see The Last Supper in new light. I know the book is fiction but reading it you realize that the facts Dan Brown presents might definately have a good base. Also, the bible might definately be based on incorrect facts as well. One interesting point is that Dan Brown wrote this book under the pretense of fiction to avoid major problems for himself if he wrote about such a viewpoint. Overall I love this book and the way it made people take a second look at the foundation of Christianity.
Anonymous (01/05/04)

>>So, what great authority in Biblical principals does Brown could have? <<

I'm not sticking up for Mr. Brown but I don't think he claims to have any authority, does he? This book is filled with many could be facts but remember it's still fiction.
J Max (01/05/04)

Sometimes the intertwined characters and travels become tedious at the expense of the core of the book, the search for the grail. The book does an excellent job of portraying Judeo-Christian minimilization of women, although placing most of the blame on Christians.
Nancy (01/05/04)

The human mind is pretty suseptible for doubt. People lack of faith due to spiritual ignorance. No wonder why this wise words were said "and few are the chosen" D. Brown, pretty weak in the facts of the Bible and the mistery of God, prints his own self believes mixed with some historical background of Leonardo Da Vince who himself did not believe in Jesus until few minutes before his death. So, what great authority in Biblical principals does Brown could have?
joker808 (01/02/04)

No doubt one of the best books I've ever read, however, the title of the book in my opinion should have been something different.
Perhaps I missed something in the read but I kept waiting for this to reveal an actual code in the Da Vinci painting itself that would
lead the characters to the ultimate goal. In short, I guess I thought the Da Vinci paintings themselves should have had a much deeper and darker inner meaning. But hey thats why I didn't write the book and Mr. Brown did!

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko
    The Bones of Grace
    by Tahmima Anam

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko