Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

Mar 2003, 464 pages
    Mar 2006, 496 pages

There are currently 162 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

River Ackerman (02/05/04)

Okay, this book has been floating about our school, (I'm 16, by the way) and I myself recently picked up a friend's copy and turned to the inside jacket cover of her hardback copy. I then noticed something strange. Some of the letters are bolded, and the idea popped into my head "Why couldn't there be a code inside a book about a code?" So, I wrote down the letters I found, but the middle makes no sense. Maybe someone else has figured out what it means, or maybe someone can point out that I missed a letter or something. I got this : "Is the rehohlp for the widow" The "reholp" doesn't make sense to me, but maybe someone else can figure it out. "hlp" could be "help". Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or have already figured out what it means, please email me. My email is River's email so if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone else has already figured it out, but if not, you might want to go back and check. I should probably note that I have yet to actually READ the book, so maybe this clue will help figure out the book. Who knows?!? Anyway, any help would be great!
Charles (02/05/04)

Just a note in response to annoyed enough to post. You must really read fast as you put it to miss the half page devoted to Langdon DRIVING the armored truck. He even pulls over and kicks off the bumper to stop the shower of sparks. I just assumed the truck had an automatic transmission
On the topic however I did note one little funny discrepancy today. The length of Teabings driveway is stated to be a mile long, on page 220 and then at the end of 279 it has shrunken to 1/2 mile. Anyway, it is the best read I can remember.
annoyed enough to post (02/04/04)

I rarely ever post things on sights like this, mostly because I respect the right for others to share their opinions without wanting to argue about my own. However, I am very frustrated reading some of these posts. I just read a comment that said the book was inaccurate because in one chapter Langdon couldn't drive a stick shift and later he drove an armored truck. Goodness!! Personally I read quickly and often miss details but if you are going to be critical then make sure your facts are straight. Langdon did NOT drive an armored car, the bank owner did. There are many other such statements on these pages. I'm sure there are mistakes here and there, most things have them. I'm sure the book did not get through the publishing process without meeting some kind of standard of accuracy. For Pete's sake this is a fictional novel and the reader is expected to suspend their disbelief in order to enjoy the book. If the topic of the story weren’t so controversial no one would be arguing this.

Everyone has a right to have, and post, their thoughts on this book. That is one of the great things about the great WWW. My opinion is that too many out there are assuming this book is more than it is. It is a work of fiction. No one involved in the creating of the book has claimed that it is any more. However, it is true that the church has minimized the role of women in the church, most history has done that. It is true that Mary was said to be a prostitute that Jesus felt pity for, which has been proven false. The things told in The Da Vince Code about Leonardo's paintings all appeared when I looked for them. While I don't think that this is by any means a map to the final resting place of the Holy Grail, obviously lots of research and hard work has gone into this book. For those of you who are so sure you are right and Dan Brown is wrong, I encourage you to do your own research and write your own book.
Detta (02/02/04)

Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" is one of the best books i have read in a very long time and i think the other people who have commented should step back and see the amazing piece of work the Mr Brown has put together a marvolous piece of work and he should be congradulated. this was the best thriller i have read in a very long time, the amount of research that must have gone into it, not to mention the fluent way that he educated the reader with so many unknown and useful information was fantastic, AND for the person who mentioned the lack of time gone into his plot? what rubbish! everything flowed in such a manner that i did not even notice it was happening. the characters, the places the twists all worked so well and in such harmony with eachother that i was left speechless after finishing the novel.
i think Dan Brown deserves a huge congratulations, and everything he gets from this novel is very well earned!
i am a church goer, an art lover and everything about history fasinates me, and the fact that Mr Brown can make me think twice about so many passions in my life is amazing. well done mr brown and thankyou for such a fantastic novel for me to ponder over!
G. Nik Stevens (01/30/04)

The redeeming value of this book is its premise. Brown would have done the reading public a favor had he taken his outline and plot points and given the whole package to a person with a gift for the written word. Much of the blame for this poorly written book should go to the editor, who should know enough about the craft not to allow such pathetically shallow dialogue, adorned by tags that just make you want to barf. Worst of all was the character of Teabing. His character was so stereotypical it actually made me laugh out loud as I read. Teabing rarely "said" anything. Rather, he chortled, proclaimed, declared, boasted, ventured and--my personal favorite--"tittered." Another kneeslapper that comes to mind is from the shallow character of Sophie. "I'M DREAMING, she thought. THIS IS A DREAM."
Wow, neat. It's like Brown spent 80% of his time researching his pet conspiracies, 15% typing it into a decent plot outline, and 5% spitting out filler material: little things like characterization, plausible action and dialogue.

One final thing. When it comes to discussion of the premise, it's pretty silly to use this work as the forum. Many folks commenting on The Da Vinci Code are quite correct in asserting that this topic has been covered much better by previous works, whether you agree with the grand premise or not.
Pdubs (01/27/04)

The story of the book is great but is greatly flawed in its resources. Brown has been a coward in writing this book. First of all he has written this novel in fiction since he himself does not have the evident proof to prove his philosophy at a stand. Second, writing a novel requires no work cited pages therefore the evidence Brown claims are nothing but fictionous words. Third, Brown inserts his sources but if one looks closley they are all biased sources. Brown says his book is "meticulously researched and very accurate." What proof, what cites has he given the readers??
This book has a great story to it with an exciting rising action and resolution, like Brown says everyone loves a conspiracy, ofcourse people do and thats why people buy and read this novel, but the intention was not to make a good story, it was to influence others in his beliefs.

be educated when reading this novel and follow ur own beliefs

I am 17 by the way :-) ta ta !
Sancho (01/23/04)

Booya Shaka! Dis book, Simply put... briliant. Me eyes could nota stop eyeballin'. Big Up Yourself Dan Brown... Respect.
Sue (01/21/04)

I couldn't put the book down (I finally had to stop at about 1:30am for the past several nights because I had to go to work the next morning.

I thought I had it figured out and then the clincher came with about 20 pages to go. I will certainly make you look at the art and other things by Di Vinci in a new light. What a different way to look at the church and the Bible. I know that it is fiction, but what a way to get you to think.

This is the best book I've read in quite some time - I don't usually read Best Sellers, but this was well worth it.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.

by Paulette Jiles

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.