Reader reviews and comments on Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Life of Pi

May 2002, 336 pages
    May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 80 reader reviews for Life of Pi

Limor (08/28/04)

One of the best books ever! A must read! Good for all ages. Laughter, tears and survival... at it's highest and deepest moments. Sad, the book had to end :o(
Tish (17) (08/23/04)

As I began reading Life of Pi, I was utterly bored. I barely finished chapter 26 when I put the book down for three weeks. With about a month before school started up again, I picked the book up to finish the summer reading as I had not found any book notes on Life of Pi. I think I would have not read this book if it had not been assigned reading as I deter myself away from novels with some religious content. Although I did not enjoy this book, I am glad that I have read it because it was a change from reading the legal thrillers and murder mysteries that I have taken a liking to.
P.S. Chapter 97 is my favorite :)
albert (07/18/04)

this is what i have written for school.............
Pi Patel is 16 when his family decides to move from India to Canada. His father, a zookeeper, sells some of the animals, and the rest go with the family. Through out this entire novel Pi is experimenting how to best display his devotion to God, by practicing, Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism.
When the ship they were aboard suddenly sinks along the way to Canda, Pi is stranded on a lifeboat with an orangutan, a zebra, a hyena, and a Bengal tiger. Pi appears to be the only human survivor of this wreck. The hyena eats both the zebra and the orangutan, and the Bengal tiger finishes off the hyena. The only way Pi survives is by using his knowledge of animals, to show “Richard Parker” who is boss.
Throughout this ordeal in the lifeboat, Pi still prays to God, and while God is never a set character, it is obvious that He plays a big part in what happens to Pi. When Pi is finally rescued after surviving 200 plus days on a lifeboat on the Pacific, he is interviewed. The interviewers are closed-minded and can’t believe the animal version of the story. When Pi tells the more conventional story with humans, it is still evident that the certain “human” characters have similar personalities and seem to symbolize the animals Pi originally talked about. Whichever story is true it is still amazing to have survived so long, and this book is about Pi’s love of life, and Pi’s God.
what does it matter (07/03/04)

i hated the book i read it and it took so long to read because it was so BORING. NEVER EVER read this book.
tamar kogman (06/27/04)

i loved the book so much! at first, like many, i didn't know what to make of it, and as a bit of an anti-religous person it seemed over-religous to me, but as soon as the second third started i got completely hooked and gobbled it up in know time, only to find that the somewhat dragging beginning was definitely necessary. i knew from the beginning that i was in for something big and that i had to get to the bottom of it. at the fantastic end i was absolutely perplexed and found the whole thing quite hard to digest, so i read about it on the internet a bit and this is what i make of it: this book is about the similarities and differences between humans and animals. it is about what it means to be alive, and further more, as a human being. we are after all just another living creature, just a very uniqe one. i think that's why in the center of the book stand zoology and religion-religion being one of the main things that set humans apart. the ending emphasizes this point, showing how the animals symbolize something in human nature. the ending didn't make me doubt much, it seemed to me pi was just trying to irritate the narrow-minded interviewers. but that probably was part of the point, concerning the opening of the novel. anyway, this is a fantastic book, about the love of life.
chrisc (05/24/04)

A great book because it explores the meaning of life, death, and what it feels like to be human. The first third of the book seems like it is going nowwhere until you realize that it was setting up Pi's character and world that he will soon leave behind....By the time he is stranded out at sea, we genuinely care for him and his ordeal and stay till the end to see if he will make it through his harrowing journey.....Amazing....
Belgium (05/23/04)

My name is Belgium and i am sixteen. The book starts out slow yet there is so much to gain from the begining that it is almost as good as the end. People often overlook this book as a childs tale of a boy on a lifeboat who befriends a tiger. These people could not be further from the truth. This book has no disney like qualities which is very clear when the animals are left to their own devices. There is no set age group for this book. At any age you can read it, ponder it, and take something away from it. The two closest comparisons i can draw from it are that it is a cross between the movie "Big Fish" and the book The Old Man and the Sea. People spend too long wondering if certain things are possible and picking apart details and fail to realize the deeper points the book is trying to make. I have often reread the ending of this book because i think that the ending is what makes this such a great book. I recomend this book to anyone and everyone. Enjoy.
Anonymous (05/14/04)

Many people feel that this book is enjoyed only because of the presumption that it will be a good read due to its awards and prizes. I think this is a very shallow view point. This book is amazing and deep. The ending is perfect, for those who give it thought. This ending is what ties the book together. It is not a foolish attempt to make the book a twisted story, but a wise attempt to make us think. It is a huge part of the overall message of the book. And although the book may start off boring for those who don't give it a chance, it really becomes interesting, and i was hooked from the lifeboat incident all the way to the end. One of the best books I've ever read.

One Month Free Membership

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko