MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Crimson Petal and The White, plus links to write your own review.

The Crimson Petal and The White

by Michel Faber

The Crimson Petal and The White

Sep 2002, 848 pages
    Sep 2003, 944 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Crimson Petal and The White

JC (09/22/03)

I'm not as enamoured of Crimson Petal as most of the reviewers. I thought this book was too long, and wonder if it ended so abruptly because the writer wasn't sure where it was going. The book had a very strong start, but the notion that the prostitute could give her consort business advice is pretty far fetched, and the ending was bad. I was mostly impressed with the subtlety of the change in the characters over the course of the story, however, and would recommend the book, in general. It's certainly better-written than a lot of pop fiction that's out there right now.
Brian (08/18/03)

I have a theory that <<edited for possible plot spoiler content>> was a ruse planned by Sugar and that Sugar, Sophie, and Anges are living happly ever after!
JD (07/18/03)

This book should come with a warning label -- once you start it you will not be able to put it down!
Rosemary (05/23/03)

I have just recently finished this book,even though it is 800+pages
it is a quick read.I liked the way all the characters seem to come to life.I also enjoyed the way the book opens,with the reader being spoken to by the narrator beckoning the reader to follow along to meet the very unforgettable characters.
I found myself feeling deeply for Sugar and Agnes,sorry to see the book coming to an end,and really hoping for more to see what happens with Sugar and Sophie.
I really hope there is a sequel to pick up where "Crimson Petal and
the White" stops,to answer questions that are left unanswered.
Elizabeth Cash (05/10/03)

This is a book I could not put down. Literally. When do we find out what happened to Sugar and Sophie? I enjoyed it VERY much and look forward to more.
fnevlntine (04/25/03)

I finished this book last week and was sorry to say goodbye to these wonderful, mulit-faceted characters. Sugar is one character that will not to be forgotten any time soon. A woman first, one that wanted to love and be loved. When I finished the last page, I couldn't quite decide how I felt about the book or its ending. I've come to the conclusion that what I loved most about this book was the uniqueness of each character and the very descriptive settings. After a week with out Crimson, I find myself wishing for more.
Jan Hall (04/16/03)

I'm halfway through. Went online a bit and found a poem by Tennyson from which the title came. I'm very taken with the book, it is a very sensory experience.
Harise Poland (04/07/03)

I loved this book, I particularly liked the way the reader is addressed directly and intimately, as the novel opens. It takes you into the story, and you follow the lulling voice without effort. Then you forget about that voice and just read. Because the book was physically large and heavy, I didn't carry it around like a paperback, and took my time reading it. I never went for too long and always was glad to open it again, as the characters are so fully fleshed out, that it is no trouble at all to remember their personalities, like old friends. No one is all good, none all evil, although some lean pretty far in one direction or another. I want more, I'd love a sequel.

• Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
    The Lost Child
    by Caryl Phillips
    The Lost Child is a modern novel constructed within a historical frame, invoking one of the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

If I Forget You
    by Thomas Christopher Greene

A haunting tale of lost love from the critically acclaimed author of The Headmaster's Wife.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q