Reader reviews and comments on The Carnivorous Carnival, plus links to write your own review.

The Carnivorous Carnival

Book the Ninth (A Series of Unfortunate Events)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist X
The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist

Oct 2002, 304 pages
    Jan 2003, 286 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Carnivorous Carnival

cc lol (08/26/17)

BEST BOOK EVER
I really enjoyed the book, I was so hooked for days.
Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (12/14/15)

much appeal for younger readers,
The Carnivorous Carnival is the ninth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, they are trapped in the trunk of Count Olaf’s car as it travels to the Hinterlands down the Rarely Ridden Road to consult Madame Lulu at the Caligari Carnival. Once there, and unable to contact their banker, ever-tussive Mr Poe by phone, they need to adopt a disguise so that they are not recognised by Olaf and his cronies. As a two-headed man and a wolf-baby, they become part of the Freak Show.

Having narrowly escaped a burning hospital and already suffered the loss of their parents, the threat of marriage, slave labour, hypnosis, a terrible boarding school, being thrown down a lift shaft, being thrown in jail, and the murder of their Uncle Monty and Aunt Josephine at the hands of the evil Count Olaf and his nefarious assistants, the siblings are ever-vigilant of his reappearance. Luckily these well-mannered and uncomplaining children are also very resourceful: Violet invents, Klaus researches and Sunny bites.

Snicket’s tone throughout is apologetic, sincere and matter-of-fact as he relates the unfortunate events in the children’s lives; his imaginative and even surreptitiously educational style will hold much appeal for younger readers, as will the persistent silliness of adults. Snicket’s word and phrase definitions are often hilarious. As always, the alliterative titles are delightful and Brett Helquist provides some wonderfully evocative illustrations.

This instalment sees the Baudelaires poked fun at by the Carnival audience, learning that one of their parents may have survived that fatal fire, discovering a fraud, narrowly escaping the a mob’s violent urges and, against their better judgement, joining forces with Count Olaf. Snicket does a clever thing with “déjà vu” in chapter five, but the utter stupidity of the adults around the Baudelaires is a constant theme that is starting to wear a little thin.

Will Violet and Klaus be able to find the headquarters of the VFD in the Mortmain Mountains? Will they be able to catch up with Count Olaf, his cronies and their baby sister Sunny? Will they discover the contents of the missing Snicket file? Readers will have to read the next instalment, The Slippery Slope, to find out.
lologirl18 (02/09/11)

A Good Book!
I think this book was the most reveling of the entire series and it is an extraordinary book. I think it is the most suspenseful book I've ever read and it's a good fit for almost any type of book reader especially people who like adventure, suspense, and/or fictional books.I think if your reading this comment and haven't read the book you should most definitely read The Carnivorous Carnival!!!!
Anonymous (10/07/08)

The Carnivorous Carnival
I think this book was good, and in order to understand it, you definitely must have read the first eight books, but in this book, they are at a carnival this time. At this carnival they have to disguise themselves this time as freaks. They have to stay as long as they can without getting caught to find out new information about V.F.D and their one living parent...if that is true. So it's up to you to find out the rest! Will they make it? or will the long, arduous, journeys along with Count Olaf do them in!? It's in your hands to find out the rest!! Buy this book today and see for YOUR OWN eyes! (Recommended for 10 years of age or older)
marykate (03/06/08)

on and off good
I thought it was good most of the time but it could get boring. For the most part it was awesome.
rasheedah (11/04/07)

bauldalaire orphans
I think the Bauldalaire orphans are lost emotionally and have nowhere to turn and Count Olaf is just making it worse by trying to steal their fortune . Also Lemony Snicket is an amazing writer but if he doesn't mind me saying that I don't think he should be saying that people should drop his book because its too scary unless he doesn't want to sell it i can admit that it makes people like me want to read if they hear it scary but a lot of people might not want to read it
bigez06 (03/05/06)

The Carnivorous Carnival
If I could rate this book a 10 I would do it the series has got me totaly HOOKED
YOMOMMA (11/13/05)

Good.
Carnivorous carnival - it was a pretty interesting book.
although it got alittle boring at the end, i must admit..
but i'd have to say Lemony Snicket is one extremely talented author!

• Book Jacket: The Last Mrs. Parrish
    by Alison McGhee
  • Book Jacket: Solar Bones
    Solar Bones
    by Mike McCormack
    Written in a poetic, line-breaking style, Mike McCormack's Solar Bones reads with a breathless ...

If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say

E Dog H I D