Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Tracey (03/24/04)

Sue Monk Kidd has written a wonderful coming-of-age story with dashes of humor and scenes of intense drama. The strongest point in this book are the amazing ladies she has created - Lily, Rosaleen, May, June and August. Each one is unique and makes an impression on the reader. The portrayal of the racial tensions of the 1960s adds even more to an already moving and powerful story.
Vera B (02/12/04)

The book is of the highest literary form, yet the everyday dialogue of the south makes the story so real. Poetry in prose!! Ms. Kidd, in fresh and original language, reveals the mind and heart of the main character, and her fierce determination to protect the one person she loves. The book grabs you right at the first page and does not let you go till you find the outcome of the jorney of the characters. Shades of "To Kill a Mockinbird", and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" both of which have been favorite books of mine. I hope we hear more from Ms. Kidd soon, I can't wait.
Linda (01/15/04)

This is a read out loud book for any age. I read it to my 18 y.o. daughter, and sometimes my mom and sister were included. It was full of humor and sadness and so much rich imagery that is specifically related to al stages of our lives as women. It bonded us together in a way that would not have happened if we read it individually. Some people have not appreciated it because they do not understand the Catholic references to Mary. Also, because it takes place in the 60's, it is difficult for us to re-visit our own issues around racism. It is by far the best book I have read inn 2003 and I look forward to more. My daughter would say the same. I would give this book a 10!
N. Hubrich (11/15/03)

I really liked this book, it is written beautifully. Enjoyable, easy to read, but a little slow.
janeI did not like this book (11/10/03)

I did not like this book at all. Written from the point of view of a l4-year old girl, this novel is well-suited to a high school audience.
natalie (10/09/03)

THis was an enjoyable book. It captvated me and kept me wanting more. A great fast read great for many ages. Share this book with someone you know they will be grateful forever.
Dawn (10/09/03)

A wonderfully honest peek into what life in 1960's era South Carolina was really like.
sue (09/28/03)

This is a wonderul book and outstanding novel!

• Book Jacket: Harmony

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review