Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022

What readers think of The House of The Scorpion, plus links to write your own review.

The House of The Scorpion

Nov 2002, 308 pages

There are currently 145 reader reviews for The House of The Scorpion

Michelle

Great Book
I had to read this book for my 10th grade summer reading. The other two books I read were terrible and I was so glad when I started to read "House of the Scorpion." I can not wait to read this book again!
Cecilia

The Best Book
I like this book.I'm in the 8th Grade almost 9th and my class is reading it. A lot of people think it's o.k.,some don't even like it.But what do you expect they're only in the 8th grade.Some people really like it I just happen to be one of them.I think Matt is mature for his age.He knows how to treat people considering where he has came from and not knowing at first .From everything he's been through,especially with Rosa,El Patron and the keepers (mainly Jorge).I think him and Maria are good together and I think Matt deserves the best more than anybody in the book.
Matt Foley

This Book Changed My Life
The House of the Scorpion, was able to move me in ways I never thought a book could. It took control over my life, and I could never find myself capable to put it down. It forces the reader to think, feel, and sympathize with the book’s protagonist. This is a book that will change a child from a non-reader to a reader.

The reader follows the life of young Matt Alacran, an orphan who lives with his foster mother, Celia. Although Matt is very nice, there is something wrong with him. Something unlike normal children. Matt is a clone. A genetic copy of the 142-year-old “El Patron”.

Throughout the book Matt meets many people, who treat him as an animal and as a mistake. In Matt’s life he knows only three people who show him compassion: Celia, Tam Lin, Maria. Celia is Matt’s foster mother who only wants the best for him, but is sometimes too defensive. Matt’s body guard, Tam Lin, appears brutal and violent on the outside, but on the inside he is compassionate and understanding. And Maria, Matt’s first crush. Although sometimes scornful, she builds a friendship with Matt and unlike the other children, she treats Matt like a person, not an animal.

The only negative in the book was that it continued to get darker and more disturbing as the story progressed. And the author described the book so in depth, you would literally walk away from the book feeling upset and discouraged. In a way, the book was so good, it almost made the reader feel bad

This book proves that Nancy Farmer is truly a Sci-Fi genius. I strongly recommend this book to all readers, both boys and girls. I have never read anything that can control a reader like this novel. The House of the Scorpion, will blow you away.
Eyerah [Dorkie]

This book gets 7 stars!
Seriously, reading long books aren't my thing. I got to say, this is the 2nd best, 1st is the bible of course, book I've ever read.

Our Humanities teacher made us read this book, and I got to admit, I thought it was boring at first, but when our school year ended, we weren't required to finish the book. My trip [back] to the Philippines was a blast! I read the book over and over [& I still am]. I imagined it, like it was a movie in my head. Seriously [the 3rd time I said that], YOU'VE GOT to read this book. I actually want to read another [fat book] one of Nancy Farmer's book. She did a great job & hopefully she will make The House of the Scorpions 2!
Shoni

Loved it
This book was amazing. My language arts teacher said that we had to read it for a class novel, I am so glad it was this book. I really liked how it talks about human cloning, and then my teacher assigned a project about cloning. This book was amazing and i am so glad I got to read it and I enjoyed everything about it.
Anomymous

I LUV IT !!
OMG,this is like one of the best books ever, one day in school I had 2 mins to get a book so I just randomly got a book that was fat and this was the fat book I saw. So I took it without reading the back of the book , and when I got into reading it I was amazed by how good it was, like I didn't think I would like it cause I'm kinda a girly girl but you can never judge a book by it's cover (although I do) well anyhow I absolutely loved the book. It is kind of like sad and much more to hard to describe. Well anyhow I advise everyone to read it so so so good
Matthew

The Greatest Book!
This book was so good, I finished it in one day! I just couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.
james

Awesome book!
This book was flipping awesome! I couldn't wait to get home the next day to finish it after school!

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You

by Andrea Barrett

W N, W Not

Cradles of the Reich
by Jennifer Coburn
Three women, a nation seduced by a madman, and the Nazi breeding program to create a so-called master race.

We have to abandon the idea that schooling is something restricted to youth...