Reader reviews and comments on Across the Nightingale Floor, plus links to write your own review.

Across the Nightingale Floor

Jun 2003, 323 pages

There are currently 68 reader reviews for Across the Nightingale Floor

AVerity (12/31/11)

ATNF
While as a ten year old I found this book an incredibly long and dragging read that I read for the feeling of pride rather than enjoyment, as a twelve year old, I found this book to be a delightful and intruiging read. Still long and dragging, but intruiging. That's not to say that there weren't moments that I disliked, but that much rings true in any book. As an incredibly unemotional person, it would have been nice for this book to make me feel some more emotion. This much lacked for me because of how much the book dragged on. It was like Hearn had tried to pull Tolkien off but in doing so had taken out of the book's overall charm. I'm not, by any means, saying that the book is a rip-off of the Lord of the Rings. I'm saying that Hearn and Tolkien had similar writing styles and Hearn's sort of got a bit lost.

I still recommend this book, particularly as a summer read, and I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.
brooke (11/28/10)

SOOOOO BORING
It has a good storyline but takes far to long to reach anything of interest. My grade 10 English class was expected to read it, it was horrible.
Emma (11/03/10)

Across the Nightingale Floor
Lian Hearn's books were the first I actually read from start to finish with complete anticipation the whole way through. I absolutely loved the fact it could affect my emotions and I found it so difficult to set down. The whole storyline, thought and effort that went into these books are spectacular and I would encourage anyone to read them especially if you have an extremely passionate nature
SilentNightingale (04/21/10)

Disappointed.
When my teacher told me about this book, I thought it was going to be a good book.... boy was I disappointed! This book has many flaws, some points aren't really clear, others he wouldn't stop pointing out! The timing of the story is off and I was extremely disappointed by how he changed such an interesting plot and turned it into a boring novel...
Schoolgirl (05/21/09)

Rather poor
As a year 8 pupil I was given this book to read in English. The first 3/4 chapters were full of boring babble. Description is good in novels but this takes it too far. I also found it inappropriate and vulgar to be written for young adults. I found it overall thoroughly poor.
Megana Banana (12/01/08)

Read Below, its not boring!!!
This book has many meanings and plots but all seem to lead to the same adventurous, dangerous and sometimes flirtatious end! Some people might think this is just another review from one of those people who have been either paid or just haven't got anything else to do whilst browsing the internet. But even though I would not admit it out loud I really enjoyed this book. It was just the right balance of every genre I could think of at the same time had an interesting plot with sudden surprises I bet even the author did not expect! All in all, my general comment is just to say read this book - you might even find yourself surprised!
Enjoy :)
Ashley (03/19/08)

Mesmerising
The Tales of the Otori are the most amazing, captivating books I have ever read. Lian Hearn has firmly placed herself as my favorite writer of all time. I came across them completely by mistake I have read the sequel to the trilogy (The Harsh Cry of the Heron) and am in the process of reading (Heavens net is wide) I wouldn't change a thing about this story. I know I'll just read them again and again. Maya's real cool!
george michael (02/24/08)

Worst book ever
I do not understand what all the fuss is about - it is the worst book it has ever been my misfortune to read.

• Book Jacket: Timekeepers
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

As Bright as Heaven
    by Susan Meissner

A story of a family reborn through loss and love in Philadelphia during the flu epidemic of 1918.

Force of Nature
    by Jane Harper

A riveting, tension-driven thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

Win The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

A gripping novel from the award-winning author of For Today I Am a Boy.

G O T P, B The P, F T P