Reader reviews and comments on The Lovely Bones, plus links to write your own review.

by Alice Sebold

Jun 2002, 288 pages
    Apr 2004, 352 pages

There are currently 116 reader reviews for The Lovely Bones

Alice (12/31/05)

Who took the monopoly piece?
I love this book and would recomend it to anyone who would listen. I've read it many times but still don't know who took or where susies monopoly boot went! ( from buckley's dresser)
This is really bugging me so if someone could answer me I would be thrilled. Before I go there is one thing a hate about this book and it is that lindsey names her baby daughter after her mother and then susie. For me that just would never happen! If your mother deserts you in your moment of need you may forgive but you will never forget.
Catlyn (12/09/05)

WOW!
This book was intense, through out the beginning of the story it took you away from the normal books that you would read and placed you into a more difficult setting. From the beginning to the end of the book the struggle between the characters and the conflict in the book is apparent. Although there were many different conflicts throughout the book they remained based off of the same thing, the murder of the young Susie Salmon. I would have to say that the plot was very well thought out and that the characteraction was exquiste. The ending of the book wasn't exactly my favorite but it made sense. This book was awesome and I recommend every read the book, it may take a while to get into it but it's worth it.
Lana (11/01/05)

Freakin Awesome
This book is not worth a 5. More like a10. I couldn't put the book down the first time I read it. Alice Sebold is awesome. She knows how to write and keep readers interested. And she told it like it was. Someone dies, you morn, you carry on. I have since read the book probably 5 more times. And it is my all time favorite book.
Tammy (09/07/05)

The Lovely Bones
This book is amazing. Also, it's very touching too. Alice Sebold is a great writer.
Ashley (07/25/05)

The Lovely Bones By: Alice Sebold
The Lovely Bones is a mesmerizing story of a young fourteen year old girl who was raped and murdered. This young girl by the name of Susie Salmon, watches from her heaven as her family learns to cope with the fact that she is dead and is never coming back. This story is such a deeply affectioning story that speaks to all its readers. Alice SEbold is such a terrific writer and in this book she has accomplished the goal of interacting with her fellow readers.
Amanda (02/07/05)

This book made you think about life and how terrible yet wonderful it can be. It also made you realize how important family is. i would recommend it to anyone
DeAnna (02/01/05)

I expected this novel to be terrible, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't another humdrum tale of teenage angst. I found reading from the point of view of a person who had "passed on" to be rather intriguing. This novel was a quick read and a nice break from literature that requires excessive analyzation; it was, in a way, a "mental recess." Although the plot would most likely interest the teenage audience, I am sure that others could find it enjoyable.

Ashley (01/16/05)

this was an amazing book. Sebold is an amazing writer
I recomend this book to everyone

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child

The Big Holiday Wordplay: