Reader reviews and comments on Tuesdays With Morrie, plus links to write your own review.

Tuesdays With Morrie

Oct 2002, 208 pages

There are currently 146 reader reviews for Tuesdays With Morrie

Stephan MIller (04/06/11)

Amazing Book
I’ve always wanted to read Tuesdays with Morrie but have never made the time to do so. I’m not much for reading though I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. I’ve heard it is quite a tear-jerker but, as I read it taught me many wonderful lessons and quite a few comical parts in it.

This book is about a time spent between a graduate and his teacher when the teacher becomes ill with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or ALS. Before Mitch, the graduate, spends time with Morrie, he shares what has been happening in his life and how he has been caught up too much in his work. He finds out that Morrie is ill as he is watching TV one night and decides to go and visit his old friend. The book then leads into the 14 different Tuesdays spent with Morrie and the many different life lessons that Mitch learns. Morrie teaches about regret, emotions, family, forgiveness, death, marriage, money, fear of aging and many other topics.

I love this sentence from the book. “He was intent on proving that the word ‘dying’ was not synonymous with ‘useless.’” It really shows that Morrie was not afraid of death and wanted to live out the remainder of his life positively. He wants to be a great influence to all those around him. He is a very grateful, loving, and caring man. The book is amazing. The lessons you learn will be things that you can take with you throughout your life and apply them each day. I really liked the chapters on self-pity, money, and marriage. Morrie is a very intelligent man that has lots of wisdom and the way that he reasons things really gets you thinking. I don’t like to read books but this has been one I have really enjoyed.

Another quote that really applied to me was, "So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." I really feel the application in this is that we should all remember that we are children of our Heavenly Father. We have been commanded to love others, to be there as an influence in our community, and to develop our talents. This book in many ways is very Gospel oriented.

I didn’t really find anything that I disliked about this book. Like I said, it can be a tear-jerker, but the things that you will learn will greatly influence you. It’s great for Sunday reading. The lessons you learn are things that you can share with others throughout your life in helping other with their problems. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. You can never go wrong gaining more insight and wisdom on the issues we face daily.
joe (08/03/10)

horid
Everyone says that Tuesdays with Morrie is a fantastic read, but this is a grave overstatement. It was only 200 pages and it felt like forever reading it. I knew the book would suck when on the first page it had a list of lives changed from this book, and you could say I'm one of them - I will never read another book by Mitch Album. This book was predictable and preachy; needless to say THIS BOOK SUCKS.
Alyssa Hedding (07/21/10)

Life's Greatest Lesson
Mitch Albom, in his novel “Tuesdays with Morrie,” explores one man’s answers to many of the questions commonly asked throughout the journey of life.

Morrie Schwartz, Albom’s college professor, made a larger impact on Albom’s life than he ever knew – until Albom showed up in his drive-way one day towards the end of Schwartz’s life. “The last class of my old professor’s life had only one student,” Albom writes. “I was the student.”

When Albom discovered that his favorite college professor and long-time friend possessed a terminal illness, he began meeting with him on Tuesdays in his home, where Schwartz spoke with him and shared some of the vital life-lessons he learned throughout his remarkable, but fleeting journey. Mitch Albom promised Schwartz that he would record his last words in order to preserve the memory of this extraordinary man. This book is the fulfillment of that promise.

Albom ardently captures the bitter and the sweet in this recollection of a dying man’s most poignant joys and greatest regrets. While reading this book, the reader is inevitably thrown into a serious reevaluation of his or her priorities, because it emphasizes the fact that life truly is fleeting; at any moment it could be gone.

This book gave me a new perspective on a number of things, such as old age. For example, when Albom asked his professor if he was ever afraid to grow old, Schwartz answered that he had never been afraid of it; rather, he embraced aging. Speaking of unhappy people who constantly wish they were young again, Schwartz remarked, “You know what that reflects? Unsatisfied lives. Unfulfilled lives. Lives that haven’t found meaning. Because if you’ve found meaning in your life, you don’t want to go back. You want to go forward.” He explained that although he enjoyed being as young as Albom, he did not envy him. “How can I be envious of where you are – when I’ve been there myself?”

One part of the book that really impacted me was Schwartz telling Albom his most crucial life lesson. “The most important thing in life,” he whispered, “is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in…A wise man named Levine said it right. He said, ‘Love is the only rational act.’”

With moving quotes from the last days of Morrie Schwartz’s life and enlightening speculation from Mitch Albom, this book is a second chance for all of us to start truly appreciating each day before it ends. I would recommend “Tuesdays with Morrie” to anyone and everyone, because it redefines life in a way we all need to hear. This book has made me realize that life is not a race to finish as fast as we are able. Instead, it is a journey in which we are meant to experience joy, hard work, success, failure, pain, passion, relationships, heartache, true love, and someday – death. Simply stated, “Tuesdays with Morrie” is a story of, as its front cover displays, an old man, a young man, and life’s greatest lesson.
Ian (04/01/10)

Grand father
The book reminded me of my grandfather. I thought it was a good book.
rryan.dblackagency (07/14/09)

Love Mitch Albom
I just finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom for the third time, which was an inspirational book to say the least. It's about one of Mitch's former professors who is dying Morrie, who Mitch learns lessons from. Truly inspiring, and heart-warming. Just a heads up, Mitch Albom has another non-fiction book coming out, Have A Little Faith. I came across the youtube video on his official youtube website, in which he reads the first few pages of the book, and I can tell already this is going to be an amazing book as well. Check out if you get the chance and I know you will enjoy it as much as I did!

You just have to go to YouTube and type in "Mitch Albom Have a Little Faith", its only 5 minutes long and so worth it!
Soniaa (03/28/09)

Excellent!
Tuesdays with Morrie is one of the best books I have ever read!
This book teaches you all about life and how important it is to live it.
On a scale of 1-10, I rate this book a 100!
READ IT! :)
B (02/20/09)

Awesome
I absolutely love this book. It was my most favorite. It inspires everybody. It gives people words for life. I would recommend it to young adult or older. This book your gonna love it is a true story about Mitch. When I was reading it I was crying I felt so terrible for the man. This book is good. I have also read The Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I think he is a great author. I'm inspired by his books. It also changes people's attitudes towards life and people. It sure changed my attitude towards people. PLEASE READ IT IT'S A GOOD BOOK THAT YOU'LL LOVE FOREVER KEEP THIS BOOK IN YOUR HEART.
mr walter (02/13/09)

TWM
One of the best books, I have ever read.

Outstanding.

Falling
    by Jane Green

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All