MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Last Girl by Jane Casey, and write your own review.

A Maeve Kerrigan Novel

by Jane Casey

• Published in USA  May 2013
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Last Girl

Carmen S. (Elkins, AR) (05/22/13)

Will keep you guessing
I haven't read any of the author's other books yet, but I enjoyed this one. Its kind of 2 stories in one, a murder of a mother and daughter and a series of gang murders. I loved the plot of the 2 murders but I wanted more info on the other set. Maybe another book. Lot of twists and will keep you guessing.
Eloise F. (Poway, CA) (05/14/13)

Best read as part of the series
I've waited to review this book until I read the earlier books in the series. Once I read those, I felt much more positive about The Last Girl, though I feel it's the weakest in the series. It does stand alone, but the characters and relationships are better understood with the background of the earlier stories. If you like the genre you will like this book; if you like settings in England you will like this book. And I think you will like the earlier ones in the series even more.
Mary P. (Bellingham, WA) (05/13/13)

The Last Girl
This is a solid police procedural with an interesting cast of characters, the main one being London DC Maeve Kerrigan. I enjoyed the bits of humor, present in the conversations and reflections of the characters. It was easy to slip into the story as it was written in first person, and Maeve is a complete character, dealing with professional and personal relationships. The psychological dynamics of the family whose mother and daughter are murdered are thoughtfully presented. It's a all-at-one time read, highly recommended.
Rayna T. (Auburn, CA) (05/12/13)

The Last Girl
I had trouble getting into this book but then it picked up and I was anxious to know who did it. I usually can read a book in 3-4 days. This seemed to take me a long time. It was O.K but just an average book. The plot was interesting and the ending surprised me.
Cheryl K. (East Aurora, NY) (05/05/13)

The Last Girl
Although I have not read previous books by Jane Casey, I thoroughly loved "The Last Girl". The twists and turns of the plot, as well as the fine character development made the book a very pleasurable experience. As the mystery unfolded, I thought I had it solved several times. The ending was not what I expected, yet seemed to fit the story perfectly. I believe a book club would have fun discussing the characters and their relationships to the mystery, as well as to each other.
This is a well-told "whodunit" and I look forward to reading previous works of Ms. Casey and her next published novel.
Helen M. (Petaluma, CA) (05/01/13)

Too Much
I would not recommend this book. My title reflects my feelings.......too much. Too much bickering, too many disjointed happenings. When all is resolved, one wonders if the loose ends were even addressed much less resolved. The book is described as unpredictable and it is, but not in a positive way. For much of the book I was confused and wondering if that really was the intent. I just felt it could all have been much better.
Jane N. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ) (04/30/13)

Secrets
What I enjoyed most about this story was how the secrets kept coming and being revealed. Or at least I thought that they were being revealed! This story has endings that you don't see coming. There are plots within plots and these make for delightful reading. I enjoyed the way loved the way that Jane Casey wove all of the stories together. Overall a good, fast read that really satisfies. She is a new author to me an d one that I will read again!
Janet P. (Houston, TX) (04/28/13)

The Last Girl
A complex who-done-it from start to the final chapter, THE LAST GIRL by Jane Casey includes all the necessities for success: difficult character relationships, a smart plot, vivid imagery and an abundance of food for thought. Unlike most thrillers these days, Casey's THE LAST GIRL is a thinking reader's delight.

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun