MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Last Girl by Jane Casey, and write your own review.

A Maeve Kerrigan Novel

by Jane Casey

• Published in USA  May 2013
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Last Girl

Carmen S. (Elkins, AR) (05/22/13)

Will keep you guessing
I haven't read any of the author's other books yet, but I enjoyed this one. Its kind of 2 stories in one, a murder of a mother and daughter and a series of gang murders. I loved the plot of the 2 murders but I wanted more info on the other set. Maybe another book. Lot of twists and will keep you guessing.
Eloise F. (Poway, CA) (05/14/13)

Best read as part of the series
I've waited to review this book until I read the earlier books in the series. Once I read those, I felt much more positive about The Last Girl, though I feel it's the weakest in the series. It does stand alone, but the characters and relationships are better understood with the background of the earlier stories. If you like the genre you will like this book; if you like settings in England you will like this book. And I think you will like the earlier ones in the series even more.
Mary P. (Bellingham, WA) (05/13/13)

The Last Girl
This is a solid police procedural with an interesting cast of characters, the main one being London DC Maeve Kerrigan. I enjoyed the bits of humor, present in the conversations and reflections of the characters. It was easy to slip into the story as it was written in first person, and Maeve is a complete character, dealing with professional and personal relationships. The psychological dynamics of the family whose mother and daughter are murdered are thoughtfully presented. It's a all-at-one time read, highly recommended.
Rayna T. (Auburn, CA) (05/12/13)

The Last Girl
I had trouble getting into this book but then it picked up and I was anxious to know who did it. I usually can read a book in 3-4 days. This seemed to take me a long time. It was O.K but just an average book. The plot was interesting and the ending surprised me.
Cheryl K. (East Aurora, NY) (05/05/13)

The Last Girl
Although I have not read previous books by Jane Casey, I thoroughly loved "The Last Girl". The twists and turns of the plot, as well as the fine character development made the book a very pleasurable experience. As the mystery unfolded, I thought I had it solved several times. The ending was not what I expected, yet seemed to fit the story perfectly. I believe a book club would have fun discussing the characters and their relationships to the mystery, as well as to each other.
This is a well-told "whodunit" and I look forward to reading previous works of Ms. Casey and her next published novel.
Helen M. (Petaluma, CA) (05/01/13)

Too Much
I would not recommend this book. My title reflects my feelings.......too much. Too much bickering, too many disjointed happenings. When all is resolved, one wonders if the loose ends were even addressed much less resolved. The book is described as unpredictable and it is, but not in a positive way. For much of the book I was confused and wondering if that really was the intent. I just felt it could all have been much better.
Jane N. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ) (04/30/13)

Secrets
What I enjoyed most about this story was how the secrets kept coming and being revealed. Or at least I thought that they were being revealed! This story has endings that you don't see coming. There are plots within plots and these make for delightful reading. I enjoyed the way loved the way that Jane Casey wove all of the stories together. Overall a good, fast read that really satisfies. She is a new author to me an d one that I will read again!
Janet P. (Houston, TX) (04/28/13)

The Last Girl
A complex who-done-it from start to the final chapter, THE LAST GIRL by Jane Casey includes all the necessities for success: difficult character relationships, a smart plot, vivid imagery and an abundance of food for thought. Unlike most thrillers these days, Casey's THE LAST GIRL is a thinking reader's delight.

• Book Jacket: Girl in the Blue Coat
    Girl in the Blue Coat
    by Monica Hesse
    Set in Amsterdam in January 1943, Monica Hesse's young adult novel, Girl in the Blue Coat, ...
  • Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T