Read what people think about All You Could Ask For by Mike Greenberg, and write your own review.

by Mike Greenberg

• Published in USA  Apr 2013

There are currently 28 reader reviews for All You Could Ask For

Nono (03/22/13)

All You Could Ask For
I listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning almost every day. I have also read the first two books that he has authored and co-authored. When I saw this book being offered, I knew I had to request it. When I heard Mr. Greenberg on the radio describing why he decided to write this book, I wanted to read it even more, and I am glad I did. It is a very good story about three women, how they live their lives and how they meet. It shows how women can lead strong lives and help others and themselves when times can get pretty rough.
ElenaMH (12/11/12)

Wondering Why?
Having little information on the subject matter, I have a lot of respect for Mike Greenberg having listened to him on ESPN. My husband has enjoyed him for years as well. My primary reason to read this book was simply to generate a common interest in something with my husband, I.e. my love of books and his love of Mike & Mike.

As soon as I received the book in the mail I was intrigued. As I researched the book my intrigue turned to fascination. I have now completed the book and I find it was a good story that kept my interest. I'm still fascinated wondering how Mike Greenberg chose this subject matter...'chicklit' in its finest form.

Ok, I generally run from the genre like the plague. I find the books typically make high drama out of frivolous topics. I typically complete a chicklit book having learned nothing and grown little and wonder how ill ever get that time back. So my expectations dropped significantly. To my surprise, with Greenberg's book, I did walk away with something. The stories were entertaining and the characters were believable. The overall flow of narration was smooth.

I cannot say that Greenberg has a mastery for the written word, nor does he require the reader to work at all (I.e. think new thoughts, consider a world of new experiences, reach emotions not typically exposed, etc). I like when a book pushes me like that and think Greenberg's book would have been better if he had succeeded at it. However, the book was entertaining and I did walk away appreciating the value of a best friend and realizing the importance of figuring out what your life is meant to be for you.

Bottom line, I would say it fits squarely in the chicklit genre which isn't my favorite, but he scores points for telling very entertaining stories and reminding us of what is important.
Margaret M. (Venice,, FL) (12/08/12)

All you Could ask for
I loved this book.. It carries a thoughtful message using interesting literary style and plot..it appealed to me as I too have struggled with their common issue. All thee women are described with humor, insightfulness and credibility!

He treats a scary female illness with humor and dignity. It remarkable that a man can describe female characters with such clarity and skill.
Kay D. (Strongsville, Ohio) (12/04/12)

Conflicted on this Book
I finished this book quickly, put off writing the review because I ended up feeling conflicted about it.

The book started off well in Part 1 and I did like the chapter by chapter switch between the main characters that set the stage for each of their lives. Each woman was very different from the others, so I was anxious to learn what would bring them together.

Part 2 was kind of a let down, as once it started, I felt myself saying "so this is where this book is going." Without giving away the story line, I was disappointed by the author's choice of the "shared issue." It seemed too contrived.

I felt there was not enough depth to the 3 main characters from that point onward and their responses to their shared issue were a bit predictable. I also had a hard time believing it all happened in what seems to be about a 6 month time frame. And the "instant friendship" between 2 of the women was just a little hard for me to believe.

The book ties up all the loose ends and although not a happily ever after tale, given the topic, the book wrapped up too smoothly for my tastes.
Rita Q. (Pittsfield, MA) (12/04/12)

All you could ask for
Excellent book...easy read. amazing that a male author could write with deep understanding of woman's feelings, esp. going thru the diagnosis of cancer. Great depiction of how strong and valuable female relationships are in life/death.
Highly recommend this for a book club.
Beverly J. (Huntersville, NC) (11/30/12)

Living Your Life Like It Is Golden
Mike Greenberg has penned an alluring tale of three women unconnected until they a similar event happens to all three in the same time period. Part One has a breezy yet self-assured feel as we learn about the characters individually each voice leading up to the moment that is the best day of their entire lives. At this point my anticipation is high on what crises will connect the women. I turn the page to start Part Two and my heart sinks as crisis is immediately apparent. But I will credit the author with writing a credible situation in an honest realistic manner that had me totally engaged and rooting for each of the women as they make the best decisions for themselves. I enjoyed this beautifully crafted story that speaks to happiness, friendship, and living your life to the fullest.
Marsha S. (Nags Head, NC) (11/30/12)

All You Could Ask For
Frankly, I found it extremely difficult to get interested enough in this book to plow through it. I could not identify in any way with the characters and wondered where the story was going. Then when the plot took a sudden turn, it became interesting enough for me to finish reading it. Even though two of the characters came to life in the latter part of the story, the details were unrealistic to me. I have survived breast cancer myself, and I particularly found it peculiar that a woman would either wish to or be able to hide a recent breast surgery from her husband, and carry on in the bedroom as if nothing had happened. Other reviews have indicated that the author understands how women think; I believe that he writes women as he would like them to think.
Barbara S. (Glen Ellyn, Illinois) (11/29/12)

all you could ask for
I felt that the book was very disjointed and unrealistic. I felt that he only discussed things with doctors. I didn't even finish it.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All