Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Adam and Eve and Pinch Me could be described as a classic
whodunnit or a psychological thriller, whilst also having supernatural
elements. How well do you think Rendell combines these different
- None of the characters in the book are very likeable, do you think
this is a deliberate device to make the reader more sympathetic
towards Minty, despite her being the murderer?
- Rendell uses the Paddington train crash in an extremely
interesting way in the novel. How effective is it to introduce real
life events into works of fiction?
- Ruth Rendell has been referred to as the queen of crime and her
books are extremely popular. What do you think lies beneath the
enduring appeal of the crime novel?
- Jerry/Jock is a lying, amoral sponger who manages to keep conning
women into falling for him. Why are the female characters such willing
victims? Is Jerry irresistible or are the women incredibly gullible?
- Various characters in the book have deep psychological problems --
Minty is an obsessive compulsive and Michelle and Matthew have severe
eating disorders. Are damaged people more interesting to read about or
is Rendell perhaps suggesting these kinds of problems are more
prevalent than we like to admit?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Vintage.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.