Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- While you were reading the novel, were you conscious of the fact that it was originally written in French?
- Were Harry and Nola in love? Is true love possible between an adult in his thirties and a fifteen-year-old adolescent?
- There are no explicit sex scenes between Harry and Nola in the novel. Is it possible that their relationship was unconsummated?
- How well do you think Dicker captured small-town American life? Are the Quinns a typical American family?
- Is Marcus a reliable narrator?
- Do you agree with Marcus's ultimate decision to write a book about "The Harry Quebert Affair"? What would you have done in his position?
[Spoiler warning: Don't read ahead if you don't want to know too much!]
Who was Nola Kellergan: a victim, a seductress, or something else?
- Elijah Stern goes to great lengths to atone for the crime he committed in his youth. Did his actions adequately compensate his victim?
- Was Harry, in part, to blame for Nola's death because of the way he misled Jenny Quinn?
- How did the truth about The Origin of Evil affect your opinion of Harry? Should he have publicly admitted that it was really written by someone else?
- Did you suspect the identity of the true killer?
- Were you satisfied that justice had been served?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Penguin Books.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.