Reader reviews and comments on Jackdaws, plus links to write your own review.

Jackdaws

Dec 2006, 416 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Jackdaws

Chase

Excellent read
This was my first read from this author and I was really impressed. I couldn't put the book down once I got a feel for Ken's writing style. The characters are believable, and the twist and turns in this book are edge of your seat thrilling. I didn't think I would enjoy a book about the Resistance so much, but I was honestly disappointed when I finished the book because the story was over. Great book, one of the best I have ever read.
Manz

Loved it thoroughly
Justin

As a fan of World War Two based literature, I find Mr. Follett's book, Jackdaws, to be an excellent piece of writing that adequately represents France and its Nazi occupation in the 1940s. I am extremely impressed with this book and it has quickly become a favorite of mine. The characters are ones that are easy to relate to, and are ones that will cause you to laugh in select areas or shed a tear. I have felt many emotions reading this book, which include anger, amazement and pride. After reading the book several times I find more and more that I did not originally notice. This book is inspiring and gives its reader the feeling that they too were in occupied France before D-Day. It is an awesome book full of action, excitement, romance and both English and french culture. It is a peephole into the past and into our very own history.
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys WWII themed literature, however it has many sexual and violent scenes which are not appropriate for some readers. I encourage you to try this book, but try it with disgression. It is well worth your time.
Furthermore, this book would make a great movie- hint, hint! I hope to see it someday on the big screen.
Dave

The author generally has very good character development in his novels. To me, the characters in this book were so real that I could actually visualize them as I read. I thought the story was a little bit of a stretch but the characters made the book one of my favorites.
patty

I am listening to this book on tape and have a difficult time pulling myself away from the car! This is an excellent book and it has some very complex and disturbing moments. I can't wait to get in the car to go to work tomorrow!
Monique

I have read tons of American Literature and have been thrown books left and right to read but none capture the true essence of a good read like Jack Daws.
jessie

its a great ook and i think that every one should read it...
Steve M. Shepard

Jackdaws is my first forray into the world of Ken Follett. I was drawn by my deceased father's involvement in the liberation of France and was not disappointed with Mr. Follett's historical research. While happy to see that the screen rights have been purchased, I found it often difficult not to compare many facets of "Jackdaws", with E.M. Nathanson's "Dirty Dozen" which was made into an all-star vehicle in 1967. Mr. Follett is by no means bordering on plagiarism, I simply found that the group of 1/2 dozen "sociatal misfits" codenamed "Jackdaws" and led by Major Felicity "Flick" Claret, a young petite and handsome, albeit seasoned British Agent, had some interesting similarities to those "misfits" led by Major John Reisman (Lee Marvin), quite interesting. Mr. Follett's riveting novel is indeed deserving of it's "pageturner" label and I look forward to the Hollywood cast who may be chosen, should "Jackdaws" become a major American motion picture. Seattle, U.S.A. - 24 Feb 2003

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Memorial Drive
    Memorial Drive
    by Natasha Trethewey
    On June 5, 1985, Natasha Trethewey's mother, Gwendolyn Turnbough, was murdered by her ex-husband, ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Devils Are Here
    All the Devils Are Here
    by Louise Penny
    In Louise Penny's All the Devils Are Here, the 16th book in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache ...
  • Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

A powerful portrait of a young Ugandan girl and her family.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C