Reader reviews and comments on The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, plus links to write your own review.

By Michael Chabon

• Hardcover: Sep 2000,
    Paperback: Aug 2001,

There are currently 12 reader reviews for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Austin (05/28/08)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon, is one of the best novels of 2001 as shown by being the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2001.The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is of the most weird books that I have read.

This book is an adventurous piece of historical fiction that is base on true events but is written in a fictional way. If I had to rate this book on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it between a 5 or a 6. The reason for this rating of a five or six is that I had no problem with the plot, but the story using so many characters moving in and out of the plot was really confusing. At times it would go to fast and I would loss my place, but there was a good theme in the book.

I think the theme is about some people being scared of their past. The story is about a guy named Joe Kavalier who is an artist trained in Houdini-esque escape, loves to talk to people who meets this other guy who becomes his friend. This other man’s name is Sammy Clay a outgoing people that loves to read comic books and he is trying to write a comic book series. Sammy and Joe dream up a comic book hero. Then Joe goes off to war and returns dressed up like the comic book hero they made up to surprise Sammy and his friends. I really don’t want to give you all the plot because it will give away the ending. The book starts out in New York City post World War II on a cold night at Joe’s mom’s house.

What I did like about the book was that author was really good at setting the scene of the place as well as making the characters feeling like they are real.
Andy (10/10/04)

It's great! A very good twist of the elements of metafiction, science fiction, and realism.
Barry G. (10/06/04)

An amazing blend of genres, from an historical novel to pop culture. The book is wonderfully written, with descriptions of time and place that put you right there. My only criticism is that, at 639 pages, it is a bit long and, thus, somewhat redundant in theme.
cita (05/14/04)

AMAZING.

I spent the entire night just reading, could´t stop.
Jon (08/01/03)

The book was great at various different points, especially the first 250 pages. However, then it became drowned out with needless detail that ultimately leads to a rushed ending that is unsatisfying and in many ways incomplete.
anna k (05/26/03)

An excellent book, an intricate and interesting plot. The characters are sympathetic; even when you disagree with their actions, you identify with their motivations. Great ending, not fairy-tale perfect but reassuring.
SteveS (01/18/03)

The book is simply a treat -- the type you hope never ends. Buy it, read it, enjoy it.
Alexa Intrator (11/12/02)

I'm on page 592 and just don't want it to end. It's a brilliant epic with metaphors that work and language that is simply, or not so simply delicious.

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

The City
by Dean Koontz

Published Jul. 2014

1.  27Tomlinson Hill:
    Chris Tomlinson

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd rather have been talking

O O T F P, Into T F