Reader reviews and comments on A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

A Painted House

Dec 2001, 496 pages

There are currently 103 reader reviews for A Painted House

Judy Adkins

The Painted House
Just discovered author John Grisham . In reading most books, I always reach some parts of "boredom"and skip so many pages.

With "The Painted house",found myself totally engrossed !! Love the serious, the funny, down-to-earth of it all. My imagination sees it all as I read. Best book I have read in years !

Judy
Ashley H.

A Painted House
John Grisham's novel A Painted House is very unlike any of his other works and in that sense makes it a unique and interesting book.
This book is narrated by seven year old Luke Chandler. Luke lives on a cotton farm and during cotton picking months his family hires Mexicans and "hill people" to assist with the cotton picking. Within this entire group are a couple dangerous men and a beautiful girl, a killing is committed and rumors begin. Throughout these months Luke is forced to keep several secrets that could forever change the life of his family. Excerpts from book: "The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day." "The fight should've been over, but Hank had other plans. With delight and deliberation, he kicked each of them in their faces and heads until they stopped moving and groaning."
While reading A Painted House I was simply enthralled. It was an incredible read and I could not put it down. I have not been a fan of John Grisham novels, but A Painted House has somewhat changed my view on his writing. This book is not however a book for those of immaturity. A Painted House is a book that is meant for a mature audience that can appreciate the topic. I would recommend this book to any person that is in high school and has an open mind. I think that in writing this book Grisham was trying to say that he can write other gripping novels that don't revolve around lawyers and such, and with A Painted House he most definitely achieved that goal. This was an excellent book and I hope all that read it will enjoy it as much as I did.
shenae

this book is the best............... i just can't put it down
Grisham

A Very Good Book!!!!
Mike Underhill

Great coming of age story - very moving.
Guillermo Quintana

Very moving and entertaining. I loved it from the first page to the last.
Killa C

Some crazy stuff up in the fehezee
Averette Packard

"A Painted House" is a definite collection book. It is a book that you fall asleep with every night because you cant stop reading it. I read it for my summer reading book for school. I had a better summer by reading it. John Grisham is an exceptional author and I recomend this book for everyone!

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C