Reader reviews and comments on Waiting, plus links to write your own review.

Waiting

by Ha Jin

Waiting by Ha Jin X
Waiting by Ha Jin

Oct 1999, 308 pages
    Sep 2000, 308 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for Waiting

jpj

One of the best books I've read in years. Ending is fantastic. This book came out around the same time The Hours came out and I can't remember a thing about The Hours, but this book is burned into my brain.

A young man gets married in an arranged marriage and goes off to be a doctor in the Army. After a few years he realizes he doesn't love his wife and his parents that made the marriage are dead. He decides to seek a divorce from his wife. He has already fathered a child. He doesn't have any desire to remarry. His wife has lived in a different city for years and his child barely knows him, so it seems natural for him to get divorced.

In China couples must wait (so the story says) to get a divorce for a court that only convenes once every year. And the spouses must agree. His wife always agrees until the last moment and then she says no. Many years go by. He was happy living in a different city and being basically single albeit married, but then he meets a women...a MUST READ!
Véronique from Switzerland

I just loved it! Beautiful story in a China between modern and ancient tradition. A transition of History in wich love help passing through ages.

Just read it!

Véronique from Switzerland
christina

excellent book, showing the consequences of long term waiting
Jeanne

Beautifully written story about a man who spends his life waiting for something "better" instead of appreciating what he has.
charlotte

great..
The novel was great!
Some of the conflicts happen today...
I can relate.
Bird

An enjoyable book, but one that is more of a journey than a destination, if you'll pardon the cliche. The ending is not the least bit satisfying when you first put the book down, but rather one that makes you sit up a few hours later and think "Wait a minute, let's consider the implications here."

Having immediately lent the book to friends after finishing it, I think I can safely say that you'll get more from the book if you've got a basic knowledge of Chinese culture and customs.
mayfield secondary school

my class did not enjoy this!
L. Suh

The title was apt. I was waiting for characters I could empathize with, waiting for a plot to develop...waiting for this book to end. The misogyny was the only consistent theme; the women were described with more emphasis on facial aging defects and bound feet than what was going on inside their heads or hearts.
And why is it that the rape scene seemed to be the only part described with vigour and colourful text?

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...
  • Book Jacket: Jack
    Jack
    by Marilynne Robinson
    If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead series, you already know who Jack is. Chances are, ...
  • Book Jacket: Migrations
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...

A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

A powerful portrait of a young Ugandan girl and her family.

Ruthie Fear
    by Maxim Loskutoff

In this haunting parable of the American West, a young woman faces the violent past of her remote Montana valley.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C