Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

By James McBride

• Hardcover: Feb 1996,
    Paperback: Feb 1997,

There are currently 96 reader reviews for The Color of Water

High School senior (08/20/11)

Class mates find the book "racist"
Hello, I am a 17 years old high school senior who was assigned this book as my summer reading. Now, I read the book from cover to cover and and i thought it was a well written and detailed Memoir about a man (The author) who was on a journey to find himself. I also feel that there were many topics touch upon but not explained. Everything in the book was personal history and not written off of others/general public. Now this is where my classmates come in. One of them made a comment saying the book was "depressing and racist" (they also were only half way through the book) I know that opinions are never true or false but i actually disagreed and i thought that by giving some insight on what this man's intent was it may help them understand the book more. Unfortunately it turned into a heated debate about what the book was about. I gave them detail and back up why the book is not racist. I told them it was a topic used to perpetuate the continuation of the story.
Now am I wrong for giving my honest opinion about the book (seeing that we will be tested on it and asked questions anyway) and do you think that it is a "racist" book or are they not reading enough into the actual story?
Tina (08/09/11)

Profound
This was one of the most memorable books I've ever read. It's been many years since I read it and was so impressed with it that I passed it on. The title says it all.
C.Perkins (05/24/11)

In my Opinion
In my opinion this is a good story because people were all brought up in a different way & this story may help you change your perspective on some things in your life or others.
Renee (04/01/11)

Color of Water
I liked this book a lot. I liked reading about someone else's life and how it pertained to mine.
martha malagon (03/02/11)

black and white
I like this story because it reminder me from the past and the present and future with my families. And this story based on the real life of histories with family.
Anne Jones (01/15/11)

The Color of Water
This is a highly recommended read. It's 2011 and I am a coloured lady married into a family of Jews - I am being ostracized at every turn - and holding my head up high is at times extremely difficult. All I try and remember daily is what my father taught - LET NO ONE DESTROY YOUR DIGNITY. It's the word's that keep me going on a daily basis. Ruth had dignity beyond compare. I wish I had met her. James you are a wonderful son to have honored your mother in this way. She stood by you children though the heavens fell.
katherine cisotto (05/11/10)

The color of water
This is my favorite book because I admire how Ruth dealt with all the racism which is something I deal with yet today. To me racism should be against the law. There is nothing good with being racist.
Cynthia Slaughter (03/31/10)

The Power of Faith and Education
This book epitomizes the power of faith and education. Ruth McBride demonstrates this as she struggled against race, religion, and poverty. Her determination to help her children overcome these obstacles during a time of discrimination is amazing. Knowledge is power and Ruth definitely demonstrates this in this book. I would recommended this book to anyone struggling through life obstacles; in search of accomplishing their dreams.

• Book Jacket: Gemini
    Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Be sincere, be brief, be seated.

P Your O C