Reader reviews and comments on Night Film, plus links to write your own review.

By Marisha Pessl

There is 1 reader review for Night Film

Diane S. (08/19/13)

Night Film
This book is so many different things, but all of them are exceedingly well done and well thought out. I usually do not read books that are over 400 pgs. because by then I am bored with the book and wishing it was over. Yet, I now may have to revise because I have just read two books over the magical number of pages and have rated them both a five.

Night Film has the requisite number of chills and thrills along with a noir tone and three amazing characters. Usually when reading this kind of book I do not get emotional but near the end of this book, I so loved the threesome, I did get a little teary eyed when they all thought the case was over.

Scot McGrath, had been burned and disgraced by Cordova years before, a disgraced journalist has few options. Cordova is a mythical film maker, shrouded in mystery, rumors of black magic and missing children. People who work on his films either disappear or are never the same. This book is a journey into a dark subculture, a noir cult an obsessive quest by those who have been seduced by the Cordova lure. His daughter Ashley's supposed suicide brings Scott back into his obsession with this family.

A complete package, original plot filled with police reports, newspaper headings, illicit websites, leading to an amazing look at those who are different than us.

book:The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems|118389is the Cordova family manta. So of course I had to read that while I was reading this book. I still had some questions at the end of the book, but did like that the author did not stuff some phony ending down the readers throat but trusted them enough to reason their own way through. I also think that the solution, the finding of the truth, the quest for answers, was in the end not the main reason, but it was the journey itself that was the reason for the story.

Wonderfully entertaining. I found it was best to go slowly and totally immerse myself in the story.

David Lynch

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

P Your O C