Reader reviews and comments on The Wave, plus links to write your own review.

The Wave

Paperback: May 2011,

There are currently 19 reader reviews for The Wave

Pete Mc (02/21/11)

The Wave - Suusan Casey
As a surfer of 40 years, I found this an authentic read with lots of new angles and adrenaline packed chapters.
Melissa (Books R Us) (10/12/10)

A Great Book
I enjoyed the book and I was fascinated with the science behind the big waves. I have never surfed but my parents have friends who love the sport. In reading the book, I felt that I was right there with the surfers and I understand now why they are infatuated with "catching the big wave". I will recommend the book to my parents friends who surf. Maybe they will learn a little more about the waves and surfing.
Karen M. (Great Falls, VA) (09/07/10)

Mythology, Fact, and Great Storytelling
This is one of the best books I read this summer. (And I read dozens of books). Susan Casey has created the perfect non-fiction book. Filled with details of the myths of rogue waves, the recent scientific proof of their measurement, Billabong's crazed reward of $500,000 to the first surfer who can prove by videotape that he or she has ridden a wave bigger than 100 feet and the intimate portrayal of the people who have attempted to win the prize. If there was room here, I'd quote great lines and descriptions from the book.

She can place you right there with Laird Hamilton and many many icons of the surf world. You're out on the jet ski feeling and seeing what the surfers are attempting, privileged to their thoughts as they tackle these giant, majestic, monsters of Nature. Through the author's eyes, I felt that I had traveled the world to the well-known and unknown spots where these waves routinely show up. Ms. Casey interviews all the people involved in the scientific and sport world who live for these occurrences with a natural intriguing curiosity that left me in astonishment that these waves have existed for thousands of years and will forever be a part of our world. Treat yourself to a great ride and read Ms. Casey's book!
Christine P. (Pleasanton, CA) (09/05/10)

The Wave by Susan Casey
The ocean has always been a mystery to me. It’s something that you show respect to and never turn your back on. Susan Casey has written a book about the people who race to ride the big waves, who study the science of the waves, the ships that disappear without a trace and those that have survived its extremes. She introduced me to Laird Hamilton, a surf god. You really need to check out Hamilton’s ride at Teahupoo on YouTube. It’s awesome. This book isn’t for everyone but I thought it interesting as well as suspenseful as I read the stories of men who have gone up against the volatile nature of the ocean, sometimes with tragic results. There is little room for error on a sea of 50 - 100 foot waves.
Nikki R. (Irvine, CA) (08/30/10)

Catch the Wave if You Dare
The Wave was infinitely more engaging than I had thought it might be. The author made the wave warriors real, likable, and bigger than life. The book is engrossing, informative, and at times horrific pondering these monsters of the sea. This read was made all the better since I was on Maui at the time, however the former is not necessary to have a great time with the book. Enjoy!
Sande O. (Rochester, NY) (08/25/10)

The Perfect Wave Book
100 foot high waves? The mind boggles. Hundreds of sailors lost at sea every year due to rogue waves? Lloyds of London is on the line to pay out. Is climate change the cause or the effect? Why do a small cadre of surfers follow the really, really big waves around world from Hawaii, to California to South Africa...well you get the idea. There is a lot more to waves than you might imagine, and author Susan Casey certainly has found a way to educate the reader in all waves' many facets.

Casey alternates conversations and observations of giant waves with scientific understanding of what makes them tick. The result makes an intriguing and satisfying look at a mysterious and always engaging subject. It was a great ride and a great read.
Julie Z. (Bennington, VT) (08/24/10)

Catch The Wave!
Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.--John Burdon Sanderson Haldane

The science of oceanography has advanced greatly since the invention of sonar, and satellite technology. One result has been to confirm the existence of giant ocean waves, over 80 feet tall. Sailors had long described them, but were not believed, as there was no scientific explanation for them, until the advent of quantum mechanics. Now we not only know they exist, but are appearing more often.

Author Susan Casey profiles the scientists and researchers who work in this cutting edge field. She also enters the world of the elite surfers who vie to catch the tallest, gnarliest waves in the world. I found the science more interesting than the surfers, but there's plenty about both, for wherever one's interests lie. If you prefer to have an adventure from the comfort of your armchair, this is the book for you.

Susan Casey has written a book about sharks, and was the creative director for Outside Magazine during the 1990's. She is also the new editor of O, the Oprah magazine.
Vera F. (Palmerdale, Alabama) (08/20/10)

The Wave by Susan Casey
I really enjoyed this book. It discusses extra large waves from the viewpoint of both tow surfers who seek them out for pleasure, and that of scientists seeking to understand their creation and actions. This was presented in a highly readable style, utilizing dialogue and quotes. The science was not above my head, and was understandable. All in all, this was a good read, and I will look for more of the author's books.

Giant Waves