Reader reviews and comments on Making Toast, plus links to write your own review.

A Family Story

By Roger Rosenblatt

• Hardcover: Mar 2010,
    Paperback: Feb 2011,

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Making Toast

Amanda (06/24/10)

Only read if you are depressed
If you are looking for a book that’ll make you feel depressed about life, then Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt, is indeed to book for you.

This book is about a family who suffers a tragedy, when a beloved wife, mother, and daughter suddenly dies in her thirties because of a heart problem. This book takes you through a little over a year with this family with their ups, and downs, and pretty much their daily tasks in life. The main speak of this book, is of course the author Roger Rosenblatt whom him and his wife Ginny take on parental roles towards their grandchildren in order to help out their son-in-law Harris. This book explains different ways children and adults go through grief, and also how they deal life without a mother.

This book was very choppy and went from one random event to another. This book should’ve been more up kept like a journal with dates; instead of lines dividing up different stories. This book posses some foul and offensive language. If you read this you will try and get into this authors head, but he hardly lets you see some true outlooks on life, he only lets you see his gloomy state and how he no longer believes in God.

Making Toast is very well written (probably because the author has written many things like: a book, articles, etc and is also a university professor on occasion). If you are in look or in need of a shoulder to cry on or looking for someone to understand you and mixed emotions due to tragedy, then this book is a must read. This book hits on family values like sticking together, love, and compassion. Also it includes some powerful words of wisdom, “that life is to be endured, and its rewards earned.”

To give this book a rating on a scale of 0 to 10, I would give this book a mediocre score of a 5. This book deserves a five, because of its choppiness, and the foul language. This book has lots of ups and downs and really takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride. You will only enjoy the book, if you are experiencing grief or hardship. You’ll also enjoy this if you like reading and truly getting a firsthand read on a families every day to day personal life, and if you do not like being that nosy you will not enjoy this book.
Alma (04/06/10)

Toching
The book cover says this is a family story; I’d say it’s also a love story. The author talks about his grief, anger and resentment, but I can tell he is talking about joy, family bonds and love to life, too.
I enjoyed this book. I cried, I laughed, I lived it. For me, this is one of those books you don’t want to stop reading, and you don’t want to get to the end (I read it slowly and reread the paragraphs in an effort to make it last).
Thanks to Mr. Rosenblatt for sharing his story.
C H. (Wauwatosa, WI) (12/17/09)

Making Toast
A wonderfully written account of how one family handles a very painful event. This is a memoir of parents whose daughter dies leaving behind a husband and three young children. The author and his wife leave behind the life they have to join the lives of their grandchildren taking up all the things that their mother had done from carpooling to playdates to bedtimes rituals. I can think of no more heartwarming relationship than a grandparent and grandchild. Although this relationship is forged through painful conditions, the story is told in such a honest and factual, but warm and loving way that this is a read that you will learn from and remember.
Karen E. (Salt Lake City, UT) (12/05/09)

Sweet Surprise
I found this book to be immensely readable and enjoyable. Since it is about the aftermath of the author's daughter's death, that was a bit surprising. Mr Rosenblatt professes to be a man who doesn't believe in God, yet his book points out dozens of God's tender mercies - made possible by the wonderful people who loved and were loved by his daughter. A wonderful memoir to an amazing daughter.
Lois G. (Redding, California) (11/30/09)

Best read of the year.
I read a lot of books. I live with books all around me. I love books and I love this book. I opened it as soon as it arrived and had it read within 24 hours. This is without a doubt the best book I have ever read on how to "get on with getting on". Making Toast will make you cry, but in doing so it might make you a better person. Read this book!
Eva R. (Westmont, IL) (11/28/09)

Heartbreak with Love
This book was written from the heart and as the reader you feel the emotions and the love. This book touched my heart, deeply. It showed me that there are families that care about each other deeply, especially in times of crisis. It reaffirmed the knowledge that family can actually overcome great obstacles through their love. A great book to share with those you love.
Mary Q. (Greeley, CO) (11/24/09)

Making Toast
This is a beautifully written and emotional little memoir. It is comprised of non-sequential short anecdotes which encapsulate the year following the sudden death of the author's thirty-eight-year-old daughter. The author and his wife move into their son-in-law's home to help care for their three young grandchildren. The sparse format of the book precludes deep intimacy with the family, yet I still came away with a sense of knowing and caring about them all, adults and children. I will remember these people and will wish I could know how their lives play out in the years to come (perhaps a sequel?). This is a book I will keep and cherish and one which I'll recommend to friends. It would also make a great book club selection!
Amellia H. (Omaha, Nebraska) (11/18/09)

Making Toast...seems simple huh?
Making Toast, tells the story of loss, love and everyday stories of families...before and after their death. The book is simple to read, it takes you from happy to sad moments in time in this families life. The book centers around how this family deals with the death of a mother, daughter, and wife: Amy. The book does not tell the entire story from beginning to end, but rather tells moments the family share. Overall, it was good. I did often find myself wanting a little more depth, but I don't think that is what the author wanted. I think this was written to share blurbs...not an in depth story of death. With that in mind, the book serves it purpose well.

Roger Rosenblatt

by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

P Your O C