Reader reviews and comments on The Good Thief, plus links to write your own review.

By Hannah Tinti

• Hardcover: Aug 2008,
    Paperback: Aug 2009,

There are currently 21 reader reviews for The Good Thief

Freshy (08/20/13)

I hate this book with a passion
This book was assigned for us as summer reading, I am an avid reader I simply love reading and I am rather good understanding what I read according to my past English teachers. The thing is this book is overly detailed and just so drawn out I can't finish it! I started in June and it is the 2nd week of august! I have another book to read after this and I sure hope it is a lot better! to be honest I would never want to have to even look at this book again : ( I hate it way too much!
Kathryn J Morano (07/01/10)

A Picaresque Novel
While reading this highly entertaining book, I couln't help comparing it to the picaresque Spanish classic, Lazarillo de Tormes, about an orphaned boy brought up by a series of roguish masters who teach him how to survive on the streets through theft and trickery, and who often physically abuse him. Similar to Lazarillo (named after Lazarus, the resurrected man from the Bible) The Good Thief is a criticism of the hypocrisy of society seen through the innocent eyes of a child who does not personally comment on the evils of prostitution, or the brutality of hired thugs, for example, but who shows the reader how prevalent they are.
Again, in both works, the moral teachings of the Catholic church are held up against the failings of the people in charge of practicing and teaching those precepts.

Besides the similarity to Dickens' picaresque Oliver Twist, as mentioned in other reviews, readers might also note a resemblance, in Twain's picaresque novel, to Huckleberry Finn, who arrives at his own sense of morality and social justice, especially after his experiences with the two knaves, the "duke" and the "dauphin." In all, The Good Thief will take you on an adventure, leaving you pondering the merits of modern society and how it measures up to the social and moral justice lacking in early 19th century New England.

Editor's note: A picaresque novel (from the Spanish picaro - rogue/rascal) depicts in realistic, often humorous/satirical detail, the adventures of a roguish hero of low social class.
Janice (02/18/09)

Read this book if . . .
Read this book if you enjoy descriptive settings and a cast of characters that reel you in like a fish on a hook. Once I started this book I had a hard time putting it down. I can't wait to read this with my book club because it isn't a book for everyone read the other reviews which will make the discussion lively and interesting.
Janice (08/11/08)

The Good Thief
This is a genre we don't see often in our times of dangerous and difficult travel: a picaresque novel, set in an almost mythological New England past, with a ragtag band of characters for whom a journey is just as difficult. Like all such journeys this is really about finding home by creating a family and finding oneself. With all that great stuff going on, let me add this is first and foremost hilarious! Scene after scene gives us brilliant images and unexpected events through the eyes of a gently ironic, soul-hungry young boy, Ren, just "adopted" from an orphanage all too glad to be done with him, and not too particular about who claims him. To say more will spoil your fun. If I had five thumbs instead of just two,they'd all be up!
Pat (08/11/08)

The Good Thief
This book is a real page turner. The characters are reminiscent of Charles Dicken's characters, but they become real people. When I feel that I could have lunch with one of the characters and delve into a conversation with them, I know that it's a good book.

It is a book is for all generations to enjoy.
Amy (07/31/08)

The Good Thief--Unique Read!
This book is really different from anything I’ve read lately, and I absolutely loved it! It’s a really fun book with vivid characters, imaginative descriptions, and spot on perfect pacing. The world in this story is brought quickly to life, I came to care about Ren and the people who enriched his life very quickly, and the adventures and experiences he has in the company of Benjamin Nab are masterfully spun like a grand tale. This is the sort of book you pick and don’t want to put down until you’ve turned the last page. Highly recommended.
Roberta (07/31/08)

Formulaic and Predictable Ending
Hannah Tinti has a wonderfully descriptive writing style. She gets her point across without excess and gives you a feel for her main character's thought processes. However, I felt that near the end the storyline simply was too predictable with a pat ending. I definitely enjoyed the book for the most part because her characters were interesting, but I was disappointed because the author seemed to run out of options for her storyline and simply chose the easy and predictable way out. This was a book that at points I didn't want to put down, but at others I could have simply walked away from it because I could tell what was coming.
Vicky (07/31/08)

The
The characters here are interesting but I never truly connected with any of them. The story includes the requisite "bad guy" whom I must admit transcends your normal criminal as he possesses no conscience at all. The main character is noteworthy and the other players are certainly the products of the authors creative imagination; however, though the book pulls you along toward a sense of compassion, it was hard for me to care about any of the characters. I don't feel I wasted my time reading this novel, it just isn't one of my favorites.

• Book Jacket: Hyde

1.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois
  2.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say

P Your O C