Reader reviews and comments on Before I Die, plus links to write your own review.

By Jenny Downham

• Hardcover: Sep 2007,
    Paperback: May 2009,

There are currently 40 reader reviews for Before I Die

Catherine Codie-Leigh (01/20/12)

Before I Die
I am 18 and I thought I would have a different reading aspect on things, I then saw this book and thought i would have a go at reading it. I lost somebody close to me so when I started reading this book it made me cry for a good reason, am so glad I read it because now it gives me good aspects on things that can harm your body for life (not saying that in a nasty way) hahaha! I Love It, It's a great book to read, so get it and start reading!!!
Hanna (12/08/11)

Woow
It's was the best book ever. I was only 12 years but it doesn't matter. I appreciated a lot of the book with this style. With this book I realized that life was precious and we have only one. So, when you are healthy, this was the most important to be happy.
Chelbi (07/28/11)

Reality
Darlynne I respect your viewpoint BUT it's naive and sheltered (not writing that to offend). Today's teens are and have been from a young age surrounded by sexual innuendos and messages where ever they turn whether the parent approves or not. Being a teen myself I know the basic happenings of today's young adult world and unless the oblivious-to-the-world are reading this book then they already know about it. It's not as if she wrote an erotica and marketed that for a young audience. It's a realistic view of how a dieing teen savoring every last second of her life would think and act. Rash and impulsive but she does it because she wants to and sadly more people don't think like her. They take the miniscule things in their life for granted, like way someone wakes you up in the morning on the weekends. I would recommend this book to the teens I live near. Maybe then they'd stop being so materialistic. I love when Tessa throws all her things out the window. Its not the things themselves that are nostalgic it's the memories they bring back.
Stephanie (05/10/11)

This book is wonderful
I have to disagree with Darlynne about it being pushed towards the younger ages, I mean the story is after all written from the perspective of a sixteen year old anyway, and I doubt we will be seeing seven year olds trying to get into the story. All books are like that even the fourth book of Twilight has sexual content and is pushed towards the younger readers and the movie too but you don't see anyone complaining about that. This book made me think about my life more and things that I would want to do before I die. I loved it till the very end.
Darlynne (04/05/11)

Concerned Parent
This book is filled with graphic sexual content and should never be intended for a teenager. It should only be for mature audiences. Shame on the publisher for gearing this book towards a younger audience.
Dawn (01/24/11)

Loved this tearjerker!
I'm an adult - late 40's - who loved this book. I just finished it last night, sobbing out loud.

I think it beautifully captured what it would be like for a teenage girl to die before her time and what it would be like for her family.

I found her to be amusing, touching and sweet and not at all unlikeable even though she chose to put some "bad" things on her bucket list like stealing. Even so, there was a humorous edge to her actions.

Tess is a memorable and unique character that will be missed long after the last page has been read.
Mariah (09/21/10)

The best book ever!
I personally think that it is one of the greatest books I've ever read, everything that happens in the book seems to grab the readers attention.
Max Carter (09/14/10)

Heartbreaking, a beautiful tale about the life and death of one far too young to die.
Touching from the beginning to the end, Jenny Downham draws the reader into the depths of Tessa's mind in brilliant description as well as the little things that we notice every day, but never think to write about. Downham could not have written a better book, for she mere fact that it is physically and surrealistically impossible.
Before I Die sheds a new light on what is important in your life, and how to live your life as though you were dying. A beautiful book through and through, every word and paragraph grabbing. It's impossible to put down.

• Book Jacket: The Promise