Reader reviews and comments on The Savage Garden, plus links to write your own review.

The Savage Garden

by Mark Mills

The Savage Garden by Mark Mills X
The Savage Garden by Mark Mills

May 2007, 336 pages
    May 2008, 352 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Savage Garden

Kim

Wow! Everything a mystery should be
I picked up Savage Garden based on the reviews here on BookBrowse, and I'm delighted that I did. This is an uncommon and exceptional mystery novel. It's a bit different in that there really isn't any question as to who murdered whom. The book instead focuses on the "why" of the crimes. The characters are deep and well-drawn. The writing is quite good, heavy with references to literature and art. My only gripe is the inclusion of some very gratuitous (and rather dull) sex scenes that are jarringly unnecessary to the plot. (I'm not a prude. I'm fine with sex scenes. Their inclusion in this case simply felt awkward, contrived, and not particularly well done.) Aside from that, however, this is a wonderful book, and one that I'm very pleased to be able to recommend to my friends.
Liz M.

The Savage Garden
I loved this book, I couldn't put it down. It was a mystery and a love story taking place in Italy. I highly recommend it.
Kimberley

review
I thought it was very dull and boring. Adam almost bore me to tears! Along with every other character in this book. I was always waiting for something more exciting to happen, but it never did.
Anno

Savage Garden
I was really enjoying the book till about halfway through then I just wanted it to move on the pace was so slow, it just got boring. I had guessed the killer early on and really wanted to be proved wrong as it was predictable. After reading the reviews I was really looking forward to a really good read but when I finished I just felt flat. It was a well write book on much a do about nothing.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: All the Devils Are Here
    All the Devils Are Here
    by Louise Penny
    In Louise Penny's All the Devils Are Here, the 16th book in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache ...
  • Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C