Reader reviews and comments on How Doctors Think, plus links to write your own review.

By Jerome Groopman

• Hardcover: Mar 2007,
    Paperback: Mar 2008,

There are currently 20 reader reviews for How Doctors Think

Dayna (04/14/09)

Interesting Glimpse into the Mind of Doctors
This book shows how doctors diagnose patients. Some use snap judgments and others use various diagnostic tools...but usually it's a combination of the two. I feel that I've learned something about how doctors come to their decisions.
Mercedes (01/09/09)

A must read for every patient
This book should be given to every patient, so they can be on an equal footing and now how the system works and why it works the way it does. Well researched and explained from the inside out, it demystifies a whole area of life that all of us will have to deal with at some stage, it helps the patient understand the doctor and thus the doctor to understand the patient, and here is to understanding!
Julie (07/23/08)

How Doctors Think
A very readable account of how doctors form the medical diagnoses that they do and ways that we, as patients, can help. The real-life cases are fascinating, and I appreciated the fact that they all pretty much had happy endings. This book proved to be a real mind opener into the critical thinking skills that doctors must employ. Only once or twice did the author lose me in medical details. My favorite parts of the book were the real-life patients and how eventually their medical mysteries were resolved by physicians who listened to their patients.
Kathleen (07/23/08)

Insightful and enlightening
In today's labyrinth of medical care, it is critical to be an educated and involved patient. How Doctors Think is an invaluable aid in understanding how doctors arrive at an accurate diagnosis. The epilogue is particularly useful for patients and caregivers who want to be partners with their doctors in their health care.
Elizabeth (07/23/08)

Interesting and informative
How Doctors Think is an interesting examination of the ways in which doctors arrive at medical diagnosis. By explaining the methods students are taught to use when dealing with patients, Groopman illustrates how misdiagnoses can occur, and steps doctors and patients can take to avoid them.

Groopman uses real case studies to demonstrate the many ways doctors good intentions can go wrong. In the initial chapters, he also offers suggestions to lay people about how to ask questions that can direct doctors to different ways of thinking. Towards the end of the book, however, he seems to be focusing more specifically on doctors themselves, and the advice for the patient is omitted. I found the book to be interesting and informative, with some good suggestions to take to my next doctor's appointment.
Penny (07/23/08)

Doctor and Patient Communication
If you have ever wondered how a doctor (your doctor) thinks, this book will help you figure it out. The book contains a variety of case studies from people of all ages that help explain the thinking process doctors' use to make a diagnosis. It is a book that can be continually referenced. It is a must read for patients, and should be recommended for doctors. Everyone who reads How Doctors Think will have a better understanding of how the right communication between a patient and doctor can impact the correct diagnosis and the right course of treatment. This is a book you will want to pass on or recommend to friends and family. Thank you Jerome Groopman for a much needed book.
Peggy (07/23/08)

Do Patients Think about how Doctors Think?
I never really thought that much about how doctors came to their diagnoses or conclusions. To a certain extent like my parents and grandparents, doctors have held a more than human status in my mind.

This book does not really tell me anything that logically, I could have figured out for myself, given some time and thought regarding the subject. However, it is highly unlikely that I WOULD have given the time to the subject unless facing some type of medical emergency (which, thank god, I have not had to). But it does bring the thought processes of doctors in various situations down to a more human level--and, as a result, helps me with any interactions with doctors that I may have in the future.

An easy, interesting, and sometimes disturbing and thought-provoking read.
Patricia (05/07/08)

How to Help Your Doctor Help You
This is not a quick how-to book, but a well-written explanation of how a doctor’s medical training and experience can lead him or her to a specific diagnosis or treatment. It is an absorbing book that kept me up past my bedtime because I couldn’t put it down. Dr. Groopman cites incidents from real life, calling on his own experience and that of physicians who are well-known in their fields to illustrate both successes and failures. We learn about the thinking that led to correct or incorrect diagnoses. In this way Groopman builds a case for the questions that we need to ask when we seek a diagnosis or treatment. The book has helped me to understand how my own doctor might think and why, and how I can better help him to help me. In the end, Groopman explains tactful questions that we need to ask in order to help our doctors find answers. I wrote a list of these questions to keep in my wallet. The author shows the reader how to become a “partner” in his or her own healthcare and how to assist in the treatment of family members. I highly recommend this book.

• Book Jacket: Hyde

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

P Your O C