Reader reviews and comments on Sold, plus links to write your own review.

Sold

• Hardcover: Sep 2006,
    Paperback: Apr 2008,

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Sold

Taylor (10/24/13)

Awesome
My class read this book for 10th grade world literature. To be honest I never thought I would like this book because most books teachers read are really bad, but not this one. It's just something else. It teaches you about the things that go on in India and Nepal. How girls are sold to go somewhere and the only way they can work off the debt is by having sex with some man they don't know. It teaches you a lot. And it shows you that the world is in danger. Teenage girls are in danger. This book really just shows you how much you need to be appreciative about the life you have cause the people who go through this will never know about that life.
Louise J (08/28/12)

Sad but True...
The writing style in this novel is very unique. It is written in short vignettes making for a simple, quick, but captivating read.

According to the author, each year nearly 12,000 Nepali girls are sold by their families “intentionally” or “unwittingly” into a life of sexual slavery in the brothels of India. The U.S. State Department estimates that a staggering half million children are trafficked into the sex trade each year.

The sad thing is that, when or if, some of these girls do make it home they are ignored by their families for fear of shaming them as happened to one girl in Sold. I guess the lesson there is that sometimes being “free” doesn’t necessarily mean “being free”.

Anyone interested in joining the fight against human trafficking and the sex slave trade can visit Patricia McCormick’s website for information regarding rescuing young women. If we all helped, we could make a difference. You can visit McCormick’s website at: www.patriciamccormick.com SOLD was an excellent, well-written account of just one girl out of millions caught up in the sex trade each year.
Hayley (03/11/12)

Beautiful, devastating, hopeful.
Sold is an eye-opening tear-jerker. Beautifully written by Patricia McCormick, It informs young readers of the devastating truth behind sex trafficking, as well as molds a bond with Lakshmi. Readers try to remain hopeful throughout the novel, while feeling a sense of suspense the entire time, knowing that some kind of horror could occur at any moment. What readers did not know, was that Lakshmi's friendship with "David Beckham boy" was actually foreshadowing the bittersweet ending. If that book doesn't make someone want to change the world, I don't know what will.
EmilyB (03/05/12)

Wonderful Book
Before I read this book,I had no idea just how bad the Sex trafficking was in India. After, however, I felt empowered to inform everyone I knew of the injustices over sees. The first time I read this book I was 13, and have read this book 5 times since. This book has really opened my eyes and helped me to realize how important this issue really is!
Hayden (02/29/12)

SOLD by Patricia McCormick
I think the book was a really good description of what it is like to be sold to a brothel house at such a young age. It provides vivid insight to the subject. A good read for all.
lee (01/31/12)

greatest book ever
This is one of the greatest books I ever read. It speaks to you, makes you feel what this little girl was feeling. It shows you how cruel and crude people are. After reading this book all I wanted to do is learn more about this wicked, atrocious, painful crime. This book is beyond good and the world needs to see what people are capable of because men are not the only ones that are involved with this crime and Patricia shows the whole world this!
Tailyr (12/13/11)

Sold by Patricia McCormick
I just read "Sold by Patricia McCormick" this book was really good and very well written. My opinion on this book is that it was very informative, because no-one ever thinks about other things that are happening around the world. If I had never read this book I probably would have never thought about young girls being sold into sex trafficking and being forced to do things they don't want to do. This book really touched my heart and made me feel bad, but also grateful that I will never live that kind of life. This book as some disturbing details and when I read it was painful and bad images came into my head. I think everyone should read this book to help people think about what else is going on around the world. I really wished the book would have continued or there was a sequel. I was left wanting more out of this book, but that's just my opinion. Overall it was a pretty good book and I'm glad that I read it.
kite (04/14/11)

sold
I would like to see more of her life and I like that it goes into the topics that it does. People need to read this book.

• Book Jacket: The Promise