Reader reviews and comments on Captain Alatriste, plus links to write your own review.

Captain Alatriste

Dec 2005, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Captain Alatriste

S. McDougald

Quiet swashbuckler
Captain Alatriste is a mysterious figure who keeps to himself throughout the book. The narrator is also a thirteen-year-old boy, so it's realistic that he can't tell us everything about him. I also had a good sense of what it was like to live in Spain during the time of the Inquisition, so the author must have done lots of research.
Political intrigue in the highest circles fuels this story, complete with an assassination attempt. However, a little more swashbuckling and a little less poetry would have suited me. Much of the plot focuses on a play critical of the king written by one of the characters, a friend of Alatriste's.
There are hints of what could happen in the sequel. I was left wondering about the little blond girl which the narrator found so irresistible.
All in all, I would recommend Captain Alatriste as an entertaining story about a clever man who prefers to use his head before his sword.
Kirconnell

Letdown?
I really wanted to like this book because I have loved all of Reverte's other works, but somehow it just didn't appeal to me like them. It didn't seem as if Captain Alatriste had the same flair and intrigue.. It is informative as all of Reverte's works are, but I am tempted to pass up the following books in the series after my experience with this one.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...
  • Book Jacket: Jack
    Jack
    by Marilynne Robinson
    If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead series, you already know who Jack is. Chances are, ...
  • Book Jacket: Migrations
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Ruthie Fear
    by Maxim Loskutoff

In this haunting parable of the American West, a young woman faces the violent past of her remote Montana valley.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C