Reader reviews and comments on The Year of Pleasures, plus links to write your own review.

The Year of Pleasures

Mar 2006, 225 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Year of Pleasures

Lynnette Krause

Moving and Entertaining
Elizabeth Berg never fails to move me. She knows how to touch on every emotion there is and she has such a way with words. She knows how to make me laugh, cry, or just smile at those little ordinary things that we all take for granted in life. I did not want this story to end.

I have read most of her books and I have loved them all. I am always telling my friends what a wonderful writer Berg is and if I could meet any author in the world I would choose her, because her books are not only moving and entertaining, but they make you want to know the author.
Becca

My thoughts
I agree with most of what susan said except I do not see how their relationship was unrealistic. What do you consider a realistic relationship? Hating each other and wanting to get out of it every day of your life? They never said that they did not argue or disagree on some things, they simply said that they were a great match for each other and they loved each other. I would like to know these "untrue" characters. Anyway i thought the book was a lovely story with a deep passionate meaning.
Susan

Disappointment
This is my first Elizabeth Berg novel. I was excited to read it because of all the great reviews. I was very disappointed, even to the point of being uninterested in ever reading her again. I did feel that Ms. Berg must have done alot of reasearch on the effects of widowhood. Not having gone through it myself, I felt that her character was displaying the grief, the irrational thinking, the terrors and the lonliness that new widows must go through. But only new widows from a unrealistic perfect marriage. I grew very tired of the descriptions of the perfect John. I was also exasperated at a woman my age who had not developed a seperate identity from her husband. I thought that went out with my mother's generation. Other characters and situations also rang untrue. For a better read on widowhood, try Lolly Winston's "Good Grief."

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...
  • Book Jacket: Jack
    Jack
    by Marilynne Robinson
    If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead series, you already know who Jack is. Chances are, ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

A powerful portrait of a young Ugandan girl and her family.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C