Reader reviews and comments on The Ha-Ha, plus links to write your own review.

The Ha-Ha

Mar 2006, 368 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Ha-Ha

Chad

Excellent! A Must Read!
Best book I've read in months. I would compare it favorably to The Memory of Running. It's not always happy or neat and tidy, but I think that King does a great job of trying to relay what it would be like to be unable to communicate effectively with the outside world. Highly recommended.
Louise

A wonderfully rewarding read
Contraray to the other review, I loved this book to the point I would save each chapter until I could really appreciate it. It is a wonderfully warm, funny as well as sad glimpse at the life of someone that has very limited communication skills, but is still able to build a very special relationship with a young boy that is both rewarding and challenging, thereby showing we can always overcome our limitations. Dave King illustrates though minute and extermely insightful detail the complexities of human nature with a very positive and endearing overtone. Overall all a wonderfully rewarding read and a fantastic first novel.
a dooling

I hated this "nothing much goes on" book. Further, it was quite depressing. Nothing gets resolved and there was miles of room for providing some character depth of characters like Nit and Nat and even the cook. His reminising about Mom and Dad tore up my heart and I find that a very unpleasant and unnecessary trait in a book where that is not essential to the, in this case, limp plot.
Noones life improves and noone even mentally vows to try harder. This book wasted a week of reading time for me.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C