Reader reviews and comments on The Quality of Life Report, plus links to write your own review.

The Quality of Life Report

by Meghan Daum

The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum X
The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum

May 2003, 309 pages
    Jun 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Quality of Life Report

JP

I recieved The Quality of Life Report as a gift recently, I usually don't read this type of book(mystery and horror for me), so I started this book with a not very open mind.
This book is worth reading. Very simple and to the point. It's very entertaining, and will keep your attention. There are quite a few humorous points, that I snickered at, and had to explain to my boyfriend why.
Like all books there were a few points that could have been omitted. But they don't make my opinion of the book any less. I defintely reccommend The Quality of Life Report, and will be passing along my copy to my friends.
Kim W

I really enjoyed this book, and the satirical way that Meghan Daum tells the story had me laughing and crying, sometimes on the same page. The story is about a young woman named Lucinda Trout who's a television journalist for a NYC program, and she's struggling financially as well as emotionally with survival in the big city. The station sends her on location to a fictional Midwestern town called Prairie City and she immediately falls in love with the small town life and the promises she thinks it has in store for her. She convinces her bosses to let her stay in Prairie City for the coming year in order to do some on-location feature stories for the station. As the job fades into the background, she begins to settle into life in Prairie City and becomes involved romantically with one of the locals who's not exactly what you'd call a "stand up" kind of guy. The bottom line is that she left NYC where she was having problems financially, socially, etc., for a small, Midwestern town with the idea that her life will be simpler and better, but what she finds out is that the grass isn't really greener on the other side, it's just "different" and has it's own share of problems to deal with. Lucinda becomes more and more self aware as she struggles with each change, and although she sometimes feels hopeless, she never gives up hope.
Leolene

Sorry, but it's depressing
I have read a lot of chick lit and this is not chick lit. It is a commentary on life in the midwest and God help anyone who lives there if this is a true representation. It's well-written, don't get me wrong. But it's a book where at the end, I didn't even like the "heroine" and was so disturbed by the presence of meth in the plot. I know it's real, but there should be a mention of it on the back book cover so the reader knows what they're getting in to!

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Memorial Drive
    Memorial Drive
    by Natasha Trethewey
    On June 5, 1985, Natasha Trethewey's mother, Gwendolyn Turnbough, was murdered by her ex-husband, ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Devils Are Here
    All the Devils Are Here
    by Louise Penny
    In Louise Penny's All the Devils Are Here, the 16th book in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache ...
  • Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Ruthie Fear
    by Maxim Loskutoff

In this haunting parable of the American West, a young woman faces the violent past of her remote Montana valley.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C