Reader reviews and comments on I Don't Know How She Does It, plus links to write your own review.

I Don't Know How She Does It

Aug 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for I Don't Know How She Does It

Reni

Woman's need to know
Well, I'm 26 years old single woman and still have no idea about something a named marriage, but from Pearson's book make me understand how hard to be a motherhood n a worker for a woman...full of dilemma. Always Make me think " I don't know how he does it" Truly Need a real commitment for having kids and jobs...thanks a lot for your great and funny book.
Zsu

Unputdownable! What I liked at the end of the book was a comment about the author' husband appreciating HIS help: 'I don't know how HE does it!' Aren't we parents all doing a great job? Women, of course, most of all...

Love the Book.
mg

Definitely entertaining ! The author has captured very well the different facets of the character's life using a writting that makes you feel how hectic her life is. I especially loved reading about how she was approaching her male colleagues trying to find excuses for her late arrivals without mentioning a sick baby-sitter or a baby with toothaches ! Every woman can recognize herself at one point as she deals with her mother, father, sisters, colleagues, husband, kids, friends ... You've been there one day for sure ! This is a piece of candy and I really loved it ! Enjoy !
Ann M

I thought the"shopaholic" novels were soooooo funny, till I read "I Don't Know How She Does It". It was so funny, I kept telling my husband parts of it, which he also enjoyed (and he totally will only read non-fiction books). I can't wait till she writes a second novel.
Sue Collins

I eventually got out of bed at 12 midday - determined to finish this marvellous book. I laughed and I cried in equal measure and recognised myself (also a mother of two - one boy and one girl, now full grown and gone!). Sometimes I saw myself as something of a hybrid - part muffia and part "wannabee someone else/somewhere else" Reading this book is like unpacking a treasure chest. Already I want to read it again to savour the things that maybe I missed the first time around. Thank you Allison Pearson. You have the most wonderful gift. Somehow you manage to put into words the things that the rest of us can only think and feel.
Dori

At times I found I wasn't enjoying the book - because it touched WAY to close to home... What I found touching was the author's abilty not only to describe MY hectic life.. but also all the guilt that goes with it! I admit I skipped to the end when reading and thought I'd be dissaponted and was very glad not to be. Thanks for a thought provoking.. at times entertaining and at times a bit too real read. Amazing how universal some things are.. from another working mom in Israel.
Isabella

Not good at all..

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C