Read what people think about Lookaway, Lookaway by Wilton Barnhardt, and write your own review.

Lookaway, Lookaway

By Wilton Barnhardt

Lookaway, Lookaway

• Published in USA  Aug 2013,

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Lookaway, Lookaway

Kristine I. (Marion, IL) (07/14/13)

Wanted to like it...
This isn't a book that I can recommend. While there were some great moments that had me chuckling, it wasn't enough to make it a good read for me. The humor did not match the general dark tone of the book. I didn't find any of the characters likeable and the end left me feeling flat. I did, however, enjoy the writing and I think the author could have redeemed the book with a more positive spin on the storyline.
Nancy F. (Carmel, IN) (07/11/13)

NancyF
"Lookaway, Lookaway" was not a good choice based on my preference of content and writer's style. I tried to finish on numerous occasions however felt the plot was forced. As a former sorority member in a "southern house" I could not relate. Sorry.
Kenan R. (Liberty, MO) (07/10/13)

A Great Vacation read
I can't decide if this is a novel disguised as character studies or a series of point of view short stories. Either way I devoured this on the plane.

Multiple members of a large Southern Family share a part of their backgrounds and lives, and somehow these disparate pieces make up a whole novel, that is engaging, heartbreaking, hilarious and caustic. A sharp look at how generations view family obligation and tradition that transcends Southern culture. You may not like everyone in this family, but you will recognize them.

I have not read other books by Wilton Barnhardt, but I will be seeking them out.
Jennifer F. (Los Gatos, CA) (07/10/13)

Disappointment
I was looking forward to reading this book after seeing the review "Move over, Tom Wolfe". Unfortunately, this book has very little in common with Tom Wolfe. I found the characters and their problems in this southern family fiction to be less than compelling. The first scenes in the book were troubling and I had a hard time continuing. Luckily, the plot picked up a bit, but never truly lived up to the hype on the cover reviews.
Irene M. (Ashland, OR) (07/10/13)

Lookaway Lookaway
This was a very enjoyable book. It followed many years of a families history with each chapter devoted to an individual family member. The novel is centered on the Johnston family of North Carolina. Not only do you get very definitive character studies, but also a great deal of southern history, plus an unexpected twist at the end of the story. I look forward to more books by Wilton Barnhardt.
Laurie H. (Stuart, FL) (07/10/13)

You can choose your friends................
This book was a perfect example of the old adage, "you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family". I don't think I liked any of the characters in the book, but I did enjoy the book as a whole. There were some scenes that made me cringe to read, but yet, I could think of examples of what was happening between the characters as something that had happened in my own family. I was particularly humored by the character who whispered the words and conditions that she found distasteful as if that would change the situation~~we have one of those in our family!! All in all, I liked the book and it is definitely worth the read!!
Mary M. (Lexington, KY) (07/05/13)

Dysfunctional Southern Family
The book is divided into sections about the various family members. For me the problem with the book is that I didn't enjoy reading about all of them,. A book devoted to Gaston, Annie or Jerene would have been enjoyable. I really didn't like the section on fraternity and sorority life and almost gave up on the book right then. The book is described as funny on the cover. I found it depressing. I gave the book 3 stars for the sections I enjoyed.
Mary S. (Hilton Head Island, SC) (06/28/13)

Contemporary History
I have lived in the Carolinas for nine years and the author of "Lookaway, Lookaway" has captured contemporary history of the Carolinas perfectly. The importance of family history, "the old boy network" and the transition of Charlotte from large city to medium metropolis are depicted with truth and historical honesty. In many ways the writing style and subject matter remind me a bit of Pat Conroy. However, the author spends too much time on unnecessary detail and by the time one gets to the end of a paragraph, the beginning of the passage is forgotten. He also seems to believe that most Southern history descends from out of wedlock children and illicit, immoral lifestyles. On the whole, the book was readable, but not exciting.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove