Read what people think about Sentinel by Matthew Dunn, and write your own review.

A Spycatcher Novel

By Matthew Dunn

• Published in USA  Aug 2012,

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Sentinel

Cassandra E. (Fort Myers, Florida) (07/23/12)

Sentinel by Matthew Dunn
As a spy novel this was very good. It was easy to follow- although the Russian names and places were hard to follow at first. I haven't read the first in the series and I lost some of the background. But I really enjoyed it. It was a fast moving story that kept me wanting to read the next chapter. The story of a disgruntled spy that decided to start a war between the U.S. and Russia was different and kept you wondering who, what and why. I now want to read the first in the series. I hope the hardcover has included maps- I always feel that maps let you know where you are going in the story.
Judith M. (San Diego, CA) (07/07/12)

Cold Spies
I just could not get interested in Sentinel. The first few pages were exciting, but afterwards the story dragged on until I finally gave up. Although the author seemed to know his facts, I just did not care about the characters so failed to form any emotional attachment to them. I gave it a 3 because I felt real dedicated espionage readers might find something to their liking that I did not.
Mary O. (Boston, MA) (07/07/12)

Page turner
Will Cochrane is a memorable Cold War character and you feel like you know him as you are ensconced in the book. A typical British spy thriller that makes you want to read it in one sitting. A perfect summer beach read!!
Judith P. (Rosebud, Missouri) (07/04/12)

Not enought character development
This is one of my favorite genre of book. This author has not created a main character that the reader care about or wants to know what is happening next. There is a lot of technical detail but very little of the human element.Perhaps the authors share too much in common with his main character. Deal well with situations but not in touch with people.
Darlene C. (Woodstock, IL) (07/02/12)

A tired premise
Spy books about the cold war with Russia seem dated and out of sync to me. I enjoy spy books and this one was well written if that is your bag. It is fast-paced and gives a view of the unglamorous side of being an undercover agent. f you don't mind the old Russia vs. US theme this would be a great summer read
LiteraryLinda Wyoming (06/28/12)

Sentinel and His Surprise
Yes, there is a surprise ending which I never expected. I must admit I had trouble getting "into" this book. It probably had to do with being so busy that I read only a few minutes at a time. Once I was free of commitment, I began to like the book and ended up enjoying it. Reading spy thrillers is my forte; hence, my surprise at having trouble getting into it. Will Cochrane is quite a spy and I enjoyed his abilities. He seems to be well-trained in his various skills, yet he does have some warmness, though not much. He is such a harsh and evil-seeming man whose harsh methods could only be honed to efficiency by his hard work and his loyalty to his country. I think anyone who enjoys spy thrillers will enjoy this book. Thanks for the opportunity to read it.
Mark B. (Jackson, MI) (06/28/12)

Sentinel, a Thriller
Set in a modern-day "cold war" Sentinel takes place in Russia and eastern Europe as CIA/MI6 agents rush to find who is killing their double agents -- a man who wants to start the nuclear war to end all wars. I am not a big fan of nuclear war novels, but found myself drawn into the single life of Will and his mission. A compassionate, yet well-trained MI6 agent, Will seeks out his captured friend to help resolve the impending war. Filled with travels throughout Europe and Russia, Sentinel is a good read for a long winter night. My one complaint with the author was his bouncing back and forth between metric and US scales, most particularly MPH/KPH. Being set in Eastern Europe and Russia, I would stick with the metric conversion. All in all, I recommend it if you don't mind a lot of killing and some visual gore.
Carolyn L. (Summerville, SC) (06/25/12)

Sentinel
This book held my attention and moved along quickly. There could have been more character development, but it probably would have helped if I had read the first novel, Spycatcher, beforehand (and I intend to read it). All of the Russian names and places, as well as the acronyms, made it a little hard to follow at times, but on the whole, I thought it was a good thriller.

The Search